No brake pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No brake pressure

Currently I have absolutely NO brake pressure with the truck running. I think I know the problem but wanted some opinions first. I'll give the run-down of whats been done because it started as a simple brake job.

1. Truck's been sitting for about 6 months or so, rotors were warped so I purchased new rotors and pads.

2. As usual the drivers side took 1/2 a day to beat off. Finally got it off and then found the hard brake line was completely rusted through and was leaking.

3. Finished up pads and rotors to both sides. Went to local parts store and bought a brake line (ended up going back to get custom fitting on one end as the original was too small). Also when doing the passenger side the flex line broke so I went ahead and replaced both sides.

4. Tried to bleed lines but bleeder screws were froze up and I had a leak coming at the new hard line connection to the flex line.

5. Bought new calipers for both sides. Bled passenger side, a LOT of air.

6. Bought another hard line for the drivers side, the orginal connector was very long so got a short one.

7. Now I have absolutely no pressure and have went all the way back to where the hard line starts and there is no fluid coming out.

8. This morning when replacing the hard line again I noticed I had left the cap off the master cylinder. So my thinking is perhaps the master cylinder could be bad?

Would appreciate any and all help.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:58 AM
No one has any experience or ideas on this?

I tried bleeding the passenger side again and after about 50 pumps of the pedal there is the slightest amount of fluid coming out. I'm going to try a new master cylinder in the morning and see what happens.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
hard to say for sure, but the master cylinder sounds like it could be bad.

Or maybe some crap got in it and one of the lines is plugged.

Even if the seals in the master cylinder were bad, I'd expect it to push fluid out of the lines when you bleed it... since it takes very little pressure to push out the fluid when the lines are open.

But its hard to say

Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start bleeding brakes in rear furthest from the master. And dont "run" the car when bleeding. You wont know when the pedal is firm and when there is no more air in the system. With the car off pump the brakes at least 10 pumps then have someone help you out and bleed each wheel. I would do at least 5-10 pumps in between cracking the bleeder loose. Repeat until no more air comes out. If you still have no pedal after manual bleeding like I stated above you need a master. Also do you ABS? If you have any air in the ABS module it will take longer to bleed. You might even need to go to a dealer.

Even with trapped air in the ABS module you should still get some pedal.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:37 AM
I replaced the master cylinder and I have pressure once again, but its still leaking at the hoses so I'm taking it in to a shop. Sad to say but my wife has given permission to sell the truck once enough money has been saved to buy another. Probably going to get an SUV. I've loved this truck since I got it but I've had numerous mechanical problems with it and spend more time working on it than driving it. Of course it gets driven allot less since I got a Mustang last year. I've just sunk too much money into it over th elast couple of years and its not going to get any better, time to cut my losses and move on.

Quick Reply: No brake pressure