Torsion bar unloading tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion bar unloading tool?

I am installing a 2.5" leveling kit for my 1998 F150 4x4. Do you have to buy this tool? can you use something else? also, where can i get it and how much do they run?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need no leveling kit for your truck, all it is are reindexed torsion keys. they allow you to crank your torsion bars way too high, leading to excessive ball joint and cv wear. just crank your torsion bars up using the stock keys.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Yup, minimonster is right. Using aftermarket "lift" keys is a waste of money...both for the kit and the front end parts you'll be swapping out prematurely because of the funky angles from cranking the t-bars too far.
If buying anything to help with the lift, I'd go with a new set of stock t-bars and keep the stock keys. 10 years of use have probably put a little sag into the original bars.

As to the original question of needing the tool...
You shouldn't need it to R&R the bars. If you need to pre-load the bars with that tool to get your keys back in then the keys that you're using will allow you to lift the suspension too high. Just jackstand the frame to completely unload the front suspension, loosen the adjuster bolts all the way, unbolt the t-bar crossmember from the frame, and get a big bar to drive the t-bars out of the lower control arms...they usually rust in pretty tight.
A can of PB Blaster or Kroil is your friend!

If you do a search on the forum here, there are a couple of pretty detailed threads on how to R&R your t-bars.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:58 AM
ok, so i don't need the torsion key kit at all? i can level my truck with just the OEM keys? I want to level it and put 33's on it. Obviously if i can save money by not buying the leveling kit and put that money toward tires that would be nice... but does leveling it with the factory torsion keys mess up anything? such as ride quality or anything like that?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
The ride will be a little harsher than at stock height (you're increasing the pre-load on the torsions bars a bit when you crank them). Nothing worth worrying about as long as you stick with just leveling the truck and don't overlift it.
Only thing you will need is to do is get an alignment once you've got it at the height you want. The camber will change when you crank the bars.

If you've still got the stock rims you can fit 11.5"x33" (285/75-16, 285/70-17, etc) with no lift at all. Aftermarket rims spaced out a bit farther than stock or wider tires might rub a bit at full lock so yep, just crank the bars to level it out. It'll look better level anyway.

Depending on what your original tire size was, you might even notice the ride quality improve a bit when you get the larger tires on. I went from 30" to 32" on my 97 and cranked the bars to level and it actually rides smoother compared to stock.

Last edited by Bindernut; 12-07-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
ok thanks man i really appreciate it. I think ill just send the leveling kit back and put that money towards new tires... the rims are stock btw and the tire size right now is 265-70-17... i want to go as big as i can so could i fit a 33 12.50? i heard that i would be able to so i was just wondering.

thanks again

Quick Reply: Torsion bar unloading tool?