leaking brake pressure sensor switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaking brake pressure sensor switch

ok....i was looking under the hood the other day and i noticed that the brake pressure sensor switch at the end of the master cylinder is leaking....now i also have been having a problem with my cruise control not working, and i know they have something to do with each other. I have the recall done with my truck and i checked the fuse in the harness and its fine, i also checked the fuse on the fuse block and it is also fine.....My first question is could the leaking brake sensor be the cause of my cruise control not working....and my second one is could this sensor be apart of the recall???? I would greatly appreciate all input....Thank you.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
That sensor WAS the reason for the recall. If it has not had the recall fix performed, and it is one of the culprit switches, it can catch that fluid on fire. I would get it replaced in a hurry, and Till it is replaced, just unplug it.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 PM
sweet...i appreciate it

Old 12-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
There is a spot on Ford's web site where you can enter your ID number and find out if it was part of the recall. But, what happens is those switches were designed with just a membrane holding the fluid in and the membrane would deteriorate and leak. The wiring is a poorly engineered item as it is a continueous hot wire. If the brake fluid comes in contact with the wireing, it can easily catch on fire. That switch is actually the brake interruption switch for your cruise control.

Fords, recall "fix" was to rewire it so that it is not always hot.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Take it in to a dealer ASAP... this is not something to mess around with. They can verify if the recall was performed and fix the issue. Park it outside till you get it checked... better safe then sorry.

And yes, this could be why your cruise control isn't working. That switch deactivates the cruise control so if it has shorted out then your cruise might not work.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:41 PM
My brake switch started to leak after I had the recall done. It's easy to replace. If I remember correctly, just unplug the wiring harness, unscrew the switch out and screw the new one in, then plug in the harness. I think I took a corner of a paper towel and dabbed any fluid out of the wiring connector before I plugged it into the new switch.

Quick Reply: leaking brake pressure sensor switch