Goodyear MT/R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmf300ex
Theres someone in the area thats selling a set of bias 36x12.50/15 TSL tires that look pretty good (states about 90% tread) for 700$. Going to check them out tomorrow and see how they look in person. If they look good then I might be getting them. Just a lot of money to be dishin out thats why I'm checking out all options before I settle on something
one thing that i didnt mention im my above huge section. Bias ply tires are gonna wear rather quickly, i have maybe 32K on my 36" TSL Radials. I offroad atleast 1 a week. The bias ply TSL's you are gonna be looking at 13-17K Depending on how far you let them go.

If you really want a Bias Ply tire, go take a look at the Pitbull Series, they are a very stiff tire even for Bias Ply and are lasting rather well,

Good luck Man

Trimble

Old 12-21-2008, 11:10 AM
my brother had these on his '78 F150 before he got groundhawgs and he loved 'em. I can't really remember but it seemed that they lasted a pretty good while, and like others have said, they're definately a well rounded tire that shouldn't let you down if you decide to go with them. And honestly, the MT-R is probably the only tire I would buy from goodyear, seems to be the only one i hear solid reviews on each time. Good luck though man, be sure to post pics once you get 'em on, don't get to see many OBS trucks around here

Old 12-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
You ought to go and check out the Maxxis Buckshot's and Bighorn's. These are hard to beat for the price. A lot of guy's run them down here and love them. Just a thought.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=cotedog03;3499449]my brother had these on his '78 F150 before he got groundhawgs and he loved 'em.

^^^ Thats a strong contender in my next tire choice heres the list so far.

Wont get put on until after its lifted agian, Probably gonna stick with 36's anyway. But might go up to 38's. Heres the list.

1. 38x11.5x16 Boggers
2. 36" TSL's
3. 37" KM2's
4. **** Cepek Crushers
5. Pitbull Rockers
6. 37" Super Swamper M16
7. 36" Ground Hawgs
8. 38" Ground Hawgs

Heres the list im running though in my mind.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Even though you offroad a lot, i'd still shy away from boggers for a DD. A kid around here has 'em on his 1500 and it seems like they've hardly lasted 6 months. Can't argue with many of the other choices though, ground hawgs are definately a solid tire. A girl i know has a set of 36" GHs on her f250 and they've lasted a lot longer than you would think. Only downfall though for the 36" GHs is that it doesn't seem like the tread is that deep, especially compared to the set of 38s my brother had.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by cotedog03
Even though you offroad a lot, i'd still shy away from boggers for a DD. A kid around here has 'em on his 1500 and it seems like they've hardly lasted 6 months. Can't argue with many of the other choices though, ground hawgs are definately a solid tire. A girl i know has a set of 36" GHs on her f250 and they've lasted a lot longer than you would think. Only downfall though for the 36" GHs is that it doesn't seem like the tread is that deep, especially compared to the set of 38s my brother had.
Well the boggers are gonna last 20k MAX nothing more. Ive ran a set on my Bronco II. But on My f150 its probably gonna be 14-17K

Im not worried on tire mileage as much as im worried about my 1/2 Ton axles.

Ive seen some horrific things of what 35" Boggers can do to 1/2 ton axles. Not to mention 38's

I dont drive the truck that much thus the reason for not worrying about mileage as much.

The Crushers look ALOT like boggers but not sure how they perform since i havent got any first hand reviews of them or any friends with then.

Id like to stick with Interco brand. Which all but 3 of those are Interco Tires. Denman sound the tire to Interco. Supposedly the rubber compound has not changed. Im sure this will lead to more sizes in both bias and regular ply.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys (and girls?). The MT/R does look like it would suit my needs in just about every category... but I don't know if I'm just stubborn or what but I think I'm gonna wait it out and go for the KM2's once they get off of back order. I was going to go for the MT/R's after reading everyone's input since they seem like a pretty solid tire, and I didn't even go look at those Bias TSL's I found on Craigslist because I did some thinking, and for that much money a bias tire is just not worth it for the tread life compared to how much wheeling it would be put through.
Considering I've only gotten stuck a few times with my All-Terrains, probably any strong Mudder would work for me, but everytime I see KM2's I can't help but want them. To me they look a whole lot more aggressive then the MT/Rs, which is something else that is pulling me towards them.
By the tread design it looks like the MT/R would be better in light snow and rain and stuff, but I guess that's a sacrifice I'll have to take if I do finally go for the KM2's. Still got a few weeks before they'll probably be available for order so we'll see if my mind sways once again

Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Welllll... after dealing with frustrations the past couple of days from a dead flat tire one morning (dirt in the bead I think), and another losing air slowly at the bead (dirt?) and valve stem (not the tires fault) I just went ahead and got some tires to throw on it.
Yep... went with the MT/R. Size 35x12.50R15LT.
A buddy of mine just got these in the metric size at about a 33", and after seeing them in person and in action they looked like a good choice.
Haven't got them mounted yet. Can't decide if I want to bring it into work and do it myself or just take it to the Fourwheel shop about 40 minutes away. I know they're gonna be a pain in the *** to get the beads set since my rims are 10"ers and it took a lot of work to get a set of 36's to seat on them that I ran for a couple of months. Balancing scares me even more... if I do it myself I might give the golf ball trick a try. Or I could just spend the 85$ and not have to deal with it, which would be worth it I think.
Of course I did want the BFG's, but for 680 from work for 4 of these compared to 840 for 4 of those, I'll give these a shot.
Once I get them on the truck, and fix some other things that I broke last week wheeling, I'll take these for a ride out to the woods and see how they do. Don't worry, pictures when they're on.

Here they are as of now

Last edited by fmf300ex; 01-06-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
If the BFGs are selling that hot - that says something about them!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by rpxr400
If the BFGs are selling that hot - that says something about them!
Yeah, they do look pretty sweet to me thats for sure. I think the main reason for them being on backorder and such is they didn't release that size till September I heard, so everyone bought them up I guess. They're available now through more then one place I believe, but the main thing for me right now is price. For the price of the GY compared to the BFG, and after comparing reviews and such, the GY was my best option I feel. I was looking for used tires for a while to save some money, but after thinking about it I'd rather just spend the extra and get a set I know I should be able to rely on and not have to worry about dry rotting or anything anytime soon (I hope). The only thing that worries me is I've heard a few bad things about these tires wearing funny, and know a kid who has these on his 2500 gasser dodge and they were wearing funny... but he drives like an *** so I'm hoping I'll be alright. I'll just make sure to keep them rotated and balanced and get some new shocks since the fronts are blown.
I'm still in school and money is very tight (as you can expect for a college student) so I need these to last me as long as possible, so we'll see how it goes.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Its been a little while but I finally put the tires on yesterday. Had some stuff in the front end I had to take care of that I had torn apart for about a week or so... but everything is good now (so far anyway) so I took the tires to work and muscled them on.
I have 10inch wide rims so had to use a good shot of air to get them seated but we managed. As expected they took A LOT of weight, but I think that was partially due to my rims being kind of beat up. Surprisingly, these things feel smoother and haven't given me any vibration at all going down the highway. My 33's I took off would give a nice vibration at around 55, but not these. I will admit they are pretty loud, but I'm used to noises by now being that the truck is 25 years old... and straight piped without mufflers haha.
Took them for a minor test in the sand at this spot near where I go to school, and they did great. Hooked awesome and crawled around in 2wd no problem. Theres a few areas that I would mess around in with the 33" BFG All-Terrains and would eventually just spin and dig and have to throw it in 4wd to crawl out of... and these just made their way through in 2wd.
They do seem to wander a little on the road compared to the 33's, but still need to drop it off for an alignment so hopefully that'll take care of some of that.
Anyway, heres a couple quick pictures for now. Taken with my phone and everything is dirty so they're not the best. Better ones to come

Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
MT/Rs are sooooooooooooft......

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
MT/Rs are sooooooooooooft......
Soft as in not aggressive or soft as in the feel?
I know they're no Swamper and probably out performed by more then one Mud-terrain when it comes to the slop, but for me they'll work. Trying to keep it out of the mud and deep water for now because I can't afford to fix anything (since something always breaks or goes as a result of the last wheelin' trip), so it'll just be on the trails and minor holes for now. Considering all the stuff I've made it through just with my half beat 33" BFG All-Terrains, and seeing how much better these things performed in my short test, these will suffice. Plus, for 170 a piece (and then a 50$ rebate off the set of 4) for a 35x12.50R15LT tire I just couldn't beat it.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few different tires I would have LOVED to go with, but being in college at the moment the funds aren't really available haha

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
As in the material. How did they compare to the KM2s? I know the STOCK size MT/Rs were as much as I payed for my 35x12.50R18 KM2s for the 05'.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
As in the material. How did they compare to the KM2s? I know the STOCK size MT/Rs were as much as I payed for my 35x12.50R18 KM2s for the 05'.
Ahh ok. Didn't mean to sound defensive if I did haha. Well I work at a dealership (chevy) and our parts department has the hookup with the local GoodYear distributor, so I was able to just pay wholesale or whatever for the tires, Cash right at the distributor and cut out the middle man. The BFG KM2's in the same size 35x12.50R15 the cheapest I could find anywhere (whether it be through work, some place online shipped, free shipping, etc.) was for about 210 a tire.
So for 200-210$ a tire, 800-840 for the set... compared to the 680 I paid for the MT/Rs (and then the rebate I found on GoodYear's site for 50$ would bring the tires down to about 158 a piece) I just couldn't pass it up considering I barely had enough money to get them.
Also had to factor in the mount and balance (which I did at work so i'll get a discount on the labor), the alignment which its sitting at a shop now so it can be done tomorrow while I'm at work, and a set of front shocks that I still have to get.

I do recall always seeing the MT/R's priced a LOT more then the BFG's and others. When I was asking my parts guy to get prices on the BFG's over a month ago and was quoted the 210 or whatever, he did mention he could probably get my a deal on the MT/R's. I figured seeing how they're usually more then the BFG's anyway that they'd still probably run me about the same price. I did actually tell him to order the KM2's for me, and that was when I found out they were on backorder and whatnot and he got me a price on the MT/R's. So if it wasn't for the backorder when I wanted to get them, I'd be rolling on KM2's right now. In the future I want to give them a try, but not until these are beat or I get another truck to have fun with in the woods.

Last edited by fmf300ex; 01-22-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MT/R?