Adjustable pedal retro fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Call other Ford Dealers if you want a dealer to install them... one of them will do it for the money... and it is cheaper then body work in most cases.
I think you're probably right. A quick Google search found a step by step report of a guy who did this to an earlier model police cruiser. Has great shots of all the parts, parts list, costs, tools required, etc. etc. and it's clear this is far more complicated than my non-mechanical brain could handle.

So I'll just keep searching a dealer and/or proven mechanic maybe. It's a shame, seems a completely reasonable retrofit request - what with all the other after market mods we do to these trucks.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
Still I agree with others here, seems like it should be just a bolt on of a new pedal assembly and running power to the proper sources. I'm guessing this is an electronic operation and there are no hydraulics involed. Anybody finds or hears of parts, diagramss, etc I'd appreciate a shout.

Im 100% positive its bolt-on and wiring. Our 01 expy has them and the moving mechanisms are built into the pedals. The pedals still bolt on the same as the non adjustable kind.
There is a little motor on one pedal and a coil that leads to the other. As the motor turns it moves the worm gears in each pedal and lets the assembly travel along a threaded rod. No hydraulics involved.

The 02 pedals will probably not work.
The newer trucks are drive by wire where as the old trucks were still mechanically connected to the throttle. The gas pedal assemblies will be completely different.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
More interestng Google stuff. Apparently the safety issue my dealer spoke of is related to the air bag. Having these pedals can help keep you further from the air bag and supposedly protects from injury by same, especially smaller framed female drivers. Stats say 43% of F-series truck buyers select this option.

The problem lies in that Ford fears lawsuits if they promote the safety issue and I suspect a dealer would be disinclined to do the retro fit for fear that if I were injured in a later accident, they might be brought into a potential legal issue.

Interestingly a Ford spokesman was quoted in the article saying even before the adjustable pedals you could buy "pedal extenders'? (blocks??? lol) Never seen or heard of those! Says the adjustable system is just a better delivery system.

Oh, and those parts on ebay were missing the servo motors and other stuff according to that step-by-step report I found.

Still I'm gonna keep searching. I travel the US extensively from May to Nov so if anyone finds a dealer willing, let me know.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM
More interesting Google stuff - sond a discourse from the Just Answer.ford site - there a mechanic says it can be done - he was asked by a guy anting to install it on a 06 STX. Says all that is required is the pedals, brackekts, motor and wiring. Maybe it ain't that hard. Maybe I'll pay JustAnswer and see what another mecanic has to say.

I'd post the info here but I'm new and not sure if that's allowed...

Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Smokin I wish you were closer to me, this should be fairly easy to knock out. Sorry i havent dug up the diagrams yet, i was feeling kinda sick last night....

Want to make a trip down here?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Smokin I wish you were closer to me, this should be fairly easy to knock out. Sorry i havent dug up the diagrams yet, i was feeling kinda sick last night....

Want to make a trip down here?
Don't laugh too loud. To get the install done? Sure, I'd travel to Austin. I was born in Beaumont and bleed burnt orange!

FYI - I used JustAnswer.Ford and I now have all the parts lists, diagrams and wiring plans. All I need is the parts and somebody with more know how than me. If interested, email me and I'll share the plans.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey - speaking of the blocks... the do offer those. My mom used to use one on the clutch pedal of her old Nissan Z

Are you the only one that drives the truck? If so, this would probably be a cheaper/easier way to go.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Well if you really want to come down here one weekend send me an email and we will get some stuff figured out.

Ive got the ford diagrams if youve got something different. I just havent had a chance to dig them out yet.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Hey - speaking of the blocks... the do offer those. My mom used to use one on the clutch pedal of her old Nissan Z

Are you the only one that drives the truck? If so, this would probably be a cheaper/easier way to go.
Well blow me down! They do offer these! Did a Google search for pedal extenders and sure enough, they're out there. These are easy, simple bolt on pedals that bolt over the existing pedals and add 3-5" of reach. Cost is about $130 a set - gas and brake - and I found em specifically for the F150.

Not as convenient as the adjustable model - but certainly a quick fix for the one-driver vehicle.

When out flying my balloon I have someone else driving my truck so I'm not sure they're my solution - probably a pain to have to take in and out but it's good to see there are options out there.

Now, with gas a $1.33 a gallon, how much will it cost me to drive to Austin??

Old 01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
how far is the mileage? im guessing about 500 miles. So 500/19mpg = 26.3g x $1.50 = 40 bucks one way? Does that seem right? A very full tank of gas for 500 miles?

So no more the 100 round trip....

Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Interestingly a Ford spokesman was quoted in the article saying even before the adjustable pedals you could buy "pedal extenders'? (blocks??? lol) Never seen or heard of those.

then nobody read my post on this subject......

Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Ive heard of blocks before, but never seen them in use.

I was 5'10" when i started driving and kept on growing all the way to 6'6"

quick google image search:

http://www.pedalextenders.net/new%20...ang%20card.jpg
(Large image so i didnt paste it in here)

http://www.pedalextenders.net/

Last edited by Patman; 01-07-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
Says all that is required is the pedals, brackekts, motor and wiring. Maybe it ain't that hard. Maybe I'll pay JustAnswer and see what another mecanic has to say..
From page one

Originally Posted by Fabian06SC
... they should bolt in without a problem.
The hardest part of the install is going to be finding ALL of the proper components and wiring it in ...
You coulda just payed me what you paid Just answer...

Ive heard of blocks before, but never seen them in use.

I was 5'10" when i started driving and kept on growing all the way to 6'6"

quick google image search:

http://www.pedalextenders.net/new%20...ang%20card.jpg
(Large image so i didnt paste it in here)

http://www.pedalextenders.net/
Those pedal extenders look HORRIBLE! I always thought they bolted to the actual arms and not over the face of the pedals ewww... ill probably have nightmares of being a midget and having to use those tonight.

Oh and if your not busy check your Pms I would like for you to check a circuit for me real quick if you dont mind.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
No new PM's yet, ill check tonight when i get home

I agree tho, i already offered the diagrams up. He said he's gonna forward them to my email and im gonna take a look at them and see if its something that we should be taking on. The only thing i can think of that might hold us back is recalibration for the new PPS (pedal position sensor) for the driveby wire.....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM

No new PM's yet, ill check tonight when i get home

I agree tho, i already offered the diagrams up. He said he's gonna forward them to my email and im gonna take a look at them and see if its something that we should be taking on. The only thing i can think of that might hold us back is recalibration for the new PPS (pedal position sensor) for the driveby wire.....
I dont think your going to have a problem with the pps. I think it should read it just fine, if im not mistaken the ecm is continueously reading the pedal position so it woudnt matter if you put in a new one it would just read its travel as its depressed and determine its values. It may be a little faster or slower on the gas at first but it would adjust and regulate itself out after a bit of driving and the pedal going thru its travel.

the hardest part is going to be aquiring the OEM harnesses (at a decent price) and making OEM connections to power them up without swapping more harnesses along the way or cutting a bit into his factory harness to integrate them nicely.
With that said it would probably be way easier just to run fused power to them independantly.

Last edited by Fabian06SC; 01-07-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjustable pedal retro fit?