Adjustable pedal retro fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008 | 09:00 PM
|
Unhappy Adjustable pedal retro fit?

Christmas morning I had an unfortunate accident, rear- ended a car.
No one hurt, minor damage. I think however one factor may have been my inability to get on the brakes hard and fast enough. Because of my oversized stature, I drive with the seat almost completely back from wheel leaving my 29" legs challenged to really stomp on the brakes. My previous Expedition had the adustable pedals - my 06 Lariat does not.

Does anyone know if this option can be retro fitted and if so at about what cost???

Apologies if this is not right forum, seemed most logical one...

Old 12-29-2008 | 11:57 AM
hmmm... never heard that question before... but I imagine it could be done... I'd check with a dealer to see what they say.

One of the tricky parts might be mounting the switches... I'm not sure where they would mount. But for the pedal assembly... you can probably just unbolt the current brake pedal assembly and install the adjustable assembly.

But again, I'd talk to a dealer first and see what they say.

Old 01-04-2009 | 12:00 PM
I want to know the same thing I have a 2005.There is a place for the switch on the dash so it looks like it could work.I live in a small town and the dealer said it couldn't be done,but I don't believe that.

Old 01-04-2009 | 12:23 PM
How old are you and what have you done all of your life before the adjustable pedals?

Sorry, but, if you can not reach the pedals, general idea would be scoot the seat up...

Old 01-04-2009 | 02:49 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by KEITHHATTER
How old are you and what have you done all of your life before the adjustable pedals?

Sorry, but, if you can not reach the pedals, general idea would be scoot the seat up...

x2. im right at 6' tall, and my seats all the way back and i have no issue what so ever.

Old 01-04-2009 | 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
...Because of my oversized stature, I drive with the seat almost completely back from wheel leaving my 29" legs...
I think when he says "oversized", he means fat. He can't be all that tall with only 29" legs. No offense intended.

But back on topic, I agree with mkosu04, ask a dealer. I don't know of any aftermarket adjustable pedals. If you can find a wrecked 150 with the power pedals at your local junkyard you could at least get all the components and see what it would take to install.

- NCSU

Old 01-05-2009 | 01:17 PM
|
No offense taken, and yes, "Oversized" means fat, obese, call it what you like. The end reslt is I sit with the seat almost all the way back and the tilt wheel up. The few extra inches of pedal adustment would just make things more comfortable - but then, so would losing 100 pounds - figured I'd sa it before someone else did. I will inquire of my dealer and report back for others who might like to know.

Bkamp is right, there is a small punch-out panel in the dash where the control switch mounts so I find it hard to believe it ca't be done - anything can be done for the right price.

Old 01-05-2009 | 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
anything can be done for the right price.
That much is true! If you can find a dealer to do it, I'd be interested to know what they quoted you. I've already got the adjustable pedals, I just have a feeling they're going to ask for a lot more $$$ than it's worth.

- NCSU

Old 01-05-2009 | 11:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

seeing as how the trucks with adjustable pedals and the ones without are still the exact same body-wise, they should bolt in without a problem.
The hardest part of the install is going to be finding ALL of the proper components and wiring it in as the trucks that have the power options have slightly different wiring harnesses under the dash.

Any dealer that tells you it cant be done probably doesnt have enough of a competent staff to figure out how to do it anyway so i would stay away.
Start sourcing your parts, i see the pedals from time to time on ebay.
There are a few tech guys here who can trace wiring charts for you and possibly give you ford part numbers. There are a number of dealers online that offer great prices on OEM new parts.
If worse comes to worse and you are mechanically inclined, you can actually access ford tech online manuals directly from the comfort of your comfy chair. Its gonna cost you about ten to 15 bucks though for limited time access. i cant remember if its 24hrs or like 36hrs from time of purchase.
I did a few wiring mods to my XLT that only lariats are wired for and although my local service rep had no clue what i was trying to do he let me sit at his desk and check out the ford tech site. I didnt feel like bothering him though so i went home and paid to access it and got all the wire colors locations and circuits to do what i wanted to do.

You may be able to get the pedals and the switch and run your own fused and relayed circuit to them easier if your into electronics, but if you were you probably wouldnt be asking us and out there wiring them up right now huh?

Good luck with your mod, and if i were to find a set of pedals cheap enough i might do this myself...

Last edited by Fabian06SC; 01-05-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:37 PM
Global Moderator &
I can pull up the diagrams you need, find the pedals first, and ill look into this and see where all the wires run to.

looking at 2006 model truck for fabian and for smokin_lariat

Old 01-06-2009 | 07:48 PM
ever think of putting blocks on your pedals? something light but firm

Old 01-06-2009 | 08:11 PM
I'm sure it can be easily done...if its like anything else on these trucks, power goes to the switch, then wires go from the switch to the pedals...cake install if you get all the parts.

Old 01-06-2009 | 10:47 PM
|
I'll start seeking parts. My dealership today says they don't do it - says it's not 'cost efficient' and involves "safety issues." Basically sounded like they probably couldn't charge enough for it - and or there's not enough demand. Admittedly this is an option most people select on a new truck, but I bought this one used.

Still I agree with others here, seems like it should be just a bolt on of a new pedal assembly and running power to the proper sources. I'm guessing this is an electronic operation and there are no hydraulics involed. Anybody finds or hears of parts, diagramss, etc I'd appreciate a shout.

Old 01-06-2009 | 10:57 PM
|
Just checked ebay and there's a complete set of pedals, wiring, nuts and bolts from a 02 Expy but I don't know where to check to see if these would be right for my 06 Lariat??

Old 01-06-2009 | 11:04 PM
Call other Ford Dealers if you want a dealer to install them... one of them will do it for the money... and it is cheaper then body work in most cases.

Quick Reply: Adjustable pedal retro fit?