People with Nitto Mud Grapplers....I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People with Nitto Mud Grapplers....I have a few questions.

How do you guys like them? Would you buy them again? If not, what tire would you go with? How many miles did you get out of them? Once I get some money I'm looking into the 35x12.50's on my 20" rim. If you have this setup do you rub with bilsteins/leveling kit, whatever you have?

Thanks,
David

Oh yeah the cheapest that I've found them is $314 a piece for 35x12.50's ($1,256 for all 4)
If you know of any other places that sell this tire cheaper than that, please let me know.

Last edited by 2005_SilverF150; 12-29-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I had the 37 x 13.50 x 22 They where in the process of tearing apart at the sidewalls all 4 of them @ 957 miles. when I talked to nitto they said that the mud grappler in my size was discontinued. And they Would not refund my money . Thanks alot . I think they suck not to mention they sound like a damn motorboat going down the road (real choppy) You better have a good system if you want to hear your radio . I would not buy or recomend to anyone .I am sure you will here from some people that they are great, maybe any size under 22". If I were you I would go with the toyo MT that is what I did much better tire and they will last longer than the nitto . IMHO

Last edited by Nate007; 12-29-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most people will tell you they are extremely loud on pavement and wear quickly.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I freakin love mine!!! they are loud as hell going down the road, work very well offroad, and ive gotten 35k out of them so far, im sure i can get 40K.

heres what they sound like on the road.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=23579656

Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I hated them, I had them in a 35/12.50/20 and they were very obnoxious! My passengers were always annoyed by the sound and to hear the radio, you had to CRANK it way up, and if someone said something, I had to reply with, "WHAT??!!" On another note, they looked cool and the performed very well offroad. Milage is mediocre at best.

My Old Truck:

Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sickest looking tire you can have, next to a tsl bogger. with that said, i'd never own a set again, crappy ride and wear like butter. you'll burn up 2 sets of muds before you wear out a set of toyo muds, unless 1200 bucks ain't much money for ya. get yourself a set of 285/65/20 BFG AT's and throw a leveling kit on there.

Last edited by ATOM; 12-30-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 AM
I love how the mud grapplers look and I'm sure they perform well for offroad use, but I want to get some mileage out of them too and money does matter. So I'm thinking Toyo mud terrains sound like the best idea to me and alot of guys recommend them and say they liked them alot and would buy them again. So maybe I'll follow in line and get the Toyo's.

Thanks

So now wheres a good place to find them for the cheapest????

Old 12-31-2008, 07:59 AM
i seen them on a screw longbed superduty last weekend at wallymart.

man they are good lookin tires!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you're looking at the Toyo M/T's, see how the price compares with the Cooper STT M/T's. I had them on my last two trucks (33x12.50r15) and loved them. They are sort of a knock off of the Toyo. I got a lot of miles out of them (even with automatic lockers), they worked great in mud/sand/rocks/snow/heavy rain, were a pretty quiet tire, and they were cheap (in that size). They started to get a little noisy after 1/2 tread was gone, but any M/T will. I've heard great things about the Toyo's too, but it might be worth comparing the cost of the Cooper.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:33 AM
The 2006 has 35x12.5x20 and they are loud (which I expected) ware fast (also expected) in about 4,000 miles there was a noticable difference in tread depth. but a agressive tire is going to ware fast on pavment. GREAT MUD TIRE.....
Name:  HPIM0852.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  69.2 KB

and even on My 2002 I had though about getting BFG Mudd Terrains, but need a tire that will last a while so I got the BFG ATs instead, less agressive tire will last longer..
Name:  HPIM0982.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  56.9 KB

Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Everyone thats been here awhile knows how i feel about Nitto Truck tires.

Im less than thrilled about any of them.

But the subject at hand: the mud graps. they are an abomination. They work offroad, but not as good as a swamper. They wear fast, on the road faster than a swamper... you get the picture.

My TSL's have 32k miles right now.

Know one that i know personally has ever gotten over 25k. And thats a hand full of people including my dad. he got 13k out of his.

If you have a offroad only truck then these will work, but if thats the case theres much better options out there, TSL's, Boggers, Sx's, Ground Hawgs, SSR's, iroks, hell even tractor tires... the list can go on forever. If you have an offroad only vehicle then get bias ply tires they will out perform any radial any day.

If you are after just looks then the Nitto's are for you but functionality, durablity, and so on. your not gonna get.

If your truck is gonna spend most of the time on the road, then look into these tires.
1. Toyo MT
2. Procomp MT or Extreme MT
3. Cooper STT
4. Maxxis Buckshots
5. mickey thompson mtz

Old 01-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Interesting thread. I'd never get a set of MT's for my purposes, but figured I'd check this thread out anyway.

Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Everyone thats been here awhile knows how i feel about Nitto Truck tires.

Im less than thrilled about any of them.

Hmm, I'm interested in getting a set of Terra Grapplers. What don't you like about them?
I haven't seen many, or any negative reviews on these tires than I can remember. (Oh, one person had balancing issues, and another had wear issues, but out of the MANY reviews I've read, 98% of them have been great.)

Old 01-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Interesting thread. I'd never get a set of MT's for my purposes, but figured I'd check this thread out anyway.

Hmm, I'm interested in getting a set of Terra Grapplers. What don't you like about them?
I haven't seen many, or any negative reviews on these tires than I can remember. (Oh, one person had balancing issues, and another had wear issues, but out of the MANY reviews I've read, 98% of them have been great.)
I have not owned these tires, i do have first hand expeirence with them.

The reviews ive been getting are so great. But lets start on a good note. The Terras are amazingly smooth on the road, it surprised me how smooth. They are priced excellently. And look rather nice (alittle under aggressive for me). They are quiet, not a sound came from these tires.

Now onto the things others didnt like. The average life span for these is 30k miles maybe 35k if you keep them air/balanced/ and rotated perfectly. Ive heard as low as 20k and as high as 40k. IMO not very good. But for the price its reasonable.

I have had a few balancing issues that people/shops complain about. And some wet weather issues as well. Now these may just have been oporater error. I was not there on these inccidents.

All in all the Terra's are a decent AT but ive been spoiled by BFG's ever since i started driving.

If i ever went back down to an AT and the BFG TA KO's were just out of reach id think about the terra's but thats a big if.

The dune grappler was a crappy tire, ive only got a handful of reviews on it, theres no siping on these tires which means bad snow/water tire. They had some balancing issues and were wearing fast.

Nitto has got another tire out now and thats the Dura Grap intresting to see what comes from that.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
I have not owned these tires, i do have first hand expeirence with them.

The reviews ive been getting are so great. But lets start on a good note. The Terras are amazingly smooth on the road, it surprised me how smooth. They are priced excellently. And look rather nice (alittle under aggressive for me). They are quiet, not a sound came from these tires.

Now onto the things others didnt like. The average life span for these is 30k miles maybe 35k if you keep them air/balanced/ and rotated perfectly. Ive heard as low as 20k and as high as 40k. IMO not very good. But for the price its reasonable.

I have had a few balancing issues that people/shops complain about. And some wet weather issues as well. Now these may just have been oporater error. I was not there on these inccidents.

All in all the Terra's are a decent AT but ive been spoiled by BFG's ever since i started driving.

If i ever went back down to an AT and the BFG TA KO's were just out of reach id think about the terra's but thats a big if.

The dune grappler was a crappy tire, ive only got a handful of reviews on it, theres no siping on these tires which means bad snow/water tire. They had some balancing issues and were wearing fast.

Nitto has got another tire out now and thats the Dura Grap intresting to see what comes from that.
Thanks for your input. It sounds like you're a tire guru.
Obviously you're in the business?

How would you rate the Firestone Destination AT? I have them and tread wear seems very good (40k km's) and they're very quiet and smooth IMO.

Also, could the Cooper STT also be considered somewhat of an AT as opposed to an MT tire, or are they loud and rough?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 PM
No im not in the business, i used to work for a tire shop. Now im a rep for them, i bring them business and they give me discounts and promo's. Its kind of a cool deal. Ive been doing it for 4 years or so.

Before ever working for the shop i always kept eyes on local reviews, internet reviews... as well as friends.

I normally dont get involved with Firestone, or other local brands. Im more concerned about the national brands... Cooper, Nitto, Interco, Maxxis, Toyo, Mickey Thompson. With all the firestone dealers around here now one ever came to our shop for firestones they would just go to firestone directly.

Now from what ive heard the firestone destination AT's are a decent tire.

The Cooper STT's are comparable to a Toyo Open County MT, they probably wont last as long as Toyo's but they are a good street/offroad tire. They will ride fairly Smooth, and quiet for what they are. The Toyo Open Country MT surprised me how smooth they road and how quiet they are. Great street/offroad tire... they will gum up in mud so make sure you got the gearing/power to spin them.

Quick Reply: People with Nitto Mud Grapplers....I have a few questions.