Wanting to upgrade brakes...where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to upgrade brakes...where do I start?

Hey all!!

Firstly I hope everybody had an amazing holiday!!

Secondly my family has 3 trucks that need new brakes. Some more importantly than others.

97 f150 5.4L 4x4- This is my brothers truck and he recently broke his collar bone and cracked a bone in his back from a dirtbike crash at the track the other day so he will not be driving for a while. When pressure is applied to his brakes the pedal vibrates and moves back forth. He mainly drives back and forth to school, work and the tracks to ride.

2000 Ford Excursion 6.4L 4x4- Just blew a spark plug about a week ago and it also needs new brakes, We use this beast for mainly long distance driving and towing our boat for wakeboard trips. We need BIG breaks for this one that will do well for towing and will last a while.

2005 Nissan Titan 4x4 5.6L- Moms car needs new brakes again...don't buy a titan. This car is used as a daily driver around town and the occasional towing of a scout.

So basically they need new brakes and I have no idea where to start or what to look for. I tried the search function and didnt find much. Anybody have any suggestions? I know its alot but any help you can give me I would appreciate!! Thanks in advance guys!

Have a good week!

D

Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Recommendation: CarboTech Engineering Street Fighter lining, which I have used for about 10+ years and been very happy. This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wear and produces less dust than OEM linings. $130 a set. They have a web site at www.ctbrakes.com, but I highly recommend speaking to them by phone for linings that would be best for your application at 877-899-5024 or 704-481-8500. Personally, I run Brembo OEM replacement rotors that are cryogenically treated making them almost as hard as stainless steel. The staff at carbo can speak to you as well regarding those options, but I am very satisfied with the performance & wear of these products.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey thanks for such a detailed response! Ill definitely look into that and call them!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I personally get the second most expensive pads and most expensive rotors at Carquest. Easy, pretty cheap and I see decent braking. I'm on the "blue" line of ceramics now both front and back, seem to brake a bit better than semi-metallics but nothing dramatic if at all. I find people buying really expensive pads and/or rotors and get basically a hair better performance with a sh@t house more dust. Just from what I see. Better braking comes with bigger rotors and better calipers. I wouldn't get anything cross drilled, slotted sure. Just making sure the system is in good shape is worth ALOT. I just replaced my seemingly fine calipers and wow what a difference. Asking what brakes are best yields alot of answers but search Carquest or Wagner thermoquiets and you'll see many are using these, plus the stores are plentiful. Basically any brand with a warranty should do well, getting the most expensive was a pain for me, way to hard of pad resulting in bad squeeling.

A Titan????? Mom, hum

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 01-06-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
A Titan????? Mom, hum
Blue Line of Ceramics? What exactly does that mean? What are the pros and cons of going blue?

and yes my mom had the excursion till I started driving and she wanted a truck ans thought the titan was cute. And my dad was a traitor and was mad that Nissan had more HP than an f150, but he regrets it now.

D

Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by D's984x4

So basically they need new brakes and I have no idea where to start or what to look for.

D

Start @ summitracing.com You'll be able to find everything that you need there. Then, go online and search for the same products from other stores to compare prices.

Also, while you're looking at replacing OEM parts, look for brake upgrades.

Last edited by Fifty150; 02-17-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by D's984x4
Blue Line of Ceramics? What exactly does that mean? What are the pros and cons of going blue?

and yes my mom had the excursion till I started driving and she wanted a truck ans thought the titan was cute. And my dad was a traitor and was mad that Nissan had more HP than an f150, but he regrets it now.

D
Titan is cute, that says it, it's a chick truck. HAHA-Nelson, at least he realizes now his error. Anyways, Blue is the line of pads, basically there's like exact stock quality, economy, better than stock (with warranty) that's the blue ones and gold which are supposed to be the sh+t. Got the gold's and they were sh**. Too harsh and made all kinds of noise, dust etc. The blues are listed as B for the first of the part number with C for ceramics OR M for metallics following. Example is BCD-711, my part number for the rear brakes. I think I got that 711 correct too. So that stands for "b" blue and "c" for ceramics. I love them so far.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. I most likely wont be doing anything till summer time when we start towing the boat again but I appreciate the help. Is it difficult to change them out or replace them?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Thank goodness I've stumbled upon this thread, I am also planning on upgrading my brakes. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. By the way, anyone has an idea on that AP Racing Big Brake upgrade posted in the picture above... Thanks!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
click on the pic

Quick Reply: Wanting to upgrade brakes...where do I start?