tire pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire pressure question

I have wildcountry radial xtx's 265/70/17, which Im pretty sure that is still just stock size, but anyways what is the best all around optimum pressure for winter and summer?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With what I found, those are a LT load range C tire. It did not list a max pressure. Most LR C tires run a max of 50. If that is the correct load range and max pressure, then run them at 38-40. Doesn't matter about season.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM
IMO I would run stock with stock size. Look in the door jams. A sticker should be there telling you the stock size and the recommended pressure. Of course that is just that a recommendation but a good place to start. Good Luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I've always had good luck with 40 psi in truck tires.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by GMJ91
IMO I would run stock with stock size. Look in the door jams. A sticker should be there telling you the stock size and the recommended pressure. Of course that is just that a recommendation but a good place to start. Good Luck.
Good way to have problems. The size is meaningless. I can find P series with a max of 35, LR C with a max of 50, and LR E with a max of 80 in that same size. 35 would have been listed on the door for the P series tires. 40 would have been listed on the door for a LR C and at least 50 would have been listed on the door for a LR E.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Good way to have problems. The size is meaningless. I can find P series with a max of 35, LR C with a max of 50, and LR E with a max of 80 in that same size. 35 would have been listed on the door for the P series tires. 40 would have been listed on the door for a LR C and at least 50 would have been listed on the door for a LR E.
I understand what your saying and for whats it's worth I agree. However if your truck calls for 40psi then you should match that with the appropriate tire. If you follow the recommendation on the sticker I can't see how that could bring you problems when it came like this from the factory.

Now again, I agree with you if the tire isn't the correct LR and won't handle the higher psi but that tire wouldn't be to factory specs and shouldn't be on the truck anyhow.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by GMJ91
I understand what your saying and for whats it's worth I agree. However if your truck calls for 40psi then you should match that with the appropriate tire. If you follow the recommendation on the sticker I can't see how that could bring you problems when it came like this from the factory.

Now again, I agree with you if the tire isn't the correct LR and won't handle the higher psi but that tire wouldn't be to factory specs and shouldn't be on the truck anyhow.
Believe me in many cases, factory specs is nothing to brag about. Most of these trucks come with P series (passenger car) tires. Going to an LT tire, whether a LR C, D, or E is a good thing. Only cons are usually gas mileage. Pros are being better able to handle the even empty weight of the trucks, handling in corners, and durability. That being said, with each, it requires a different tire pressure to for proper inflation. As it would have on the sticker depending upon what the factory tire specs were.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 AM
The proper way to determine air pressure needed is to put a couple chalk marks across the tire then roll the vehicle forward and then check the chalk marks, a properly inflated tire will rub the chalk off evenly across, overinflated the center will rub off first and underinflated the edges of the tread will rub off first.

Quick Reply: tire pressure question