Serious problem, Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious problem, Please Help!!

Hi, I have a 1999 f150 4x4 with a 6" fabtech that I had installed a couple months ago. Until today I have been running my stock tires (new ones are expensive!!!!). I had the shop that installed my lift put on my new nitto 315/70 r17 tires on my stock rims, and noticed when I got home that my e-brake line rubs against the inside of my back left tire. It is bad enough to where the tire has eaten through about half of that thick rubber line. Again, I'm pretty sure this is the thick rubber "hose" that goes around the e-brake cable. Anyways, I drove it right down the street to the gas station, and when I press the brake pedal, this horrible "clanging" noise comes from the back left area. The sound is even worse when I am turning the wheel. It very well could have been making that noise on my way home from the shop as well, but I have 2-12"s under my backseat and had my system up very loud so I wouldnt have been able to hear it.
I already checked if the tires were rubbing against something other than the e-brake line, but it really doesnt look like it. At this point, I'm pretty much freaking out. I plan on taking it into the shop tomorrow, but does anyone know, or have any idea what could be the problem? It doesnt make the noise when I give it gas or when it's driving, only when I hit the brakes.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
The rim is rubbing against the cable. I betcha you could get replace the ebrake cable, then get some heavy duty zip ties and tie it on to the frame, or else (which would be the better/easier way) is to have them custom cut an ebrake cable for it. Or else because it was tensioned, it might have had the ebrake set and wore your brakes down. I'd have them checked ASAP because if you get into an accident and they find faulty brakes... you are in big trouble.

Quick Reply: Serious problem, Please Help!!