abs when in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abs when in 4x4

we got some snow with ice under it tonight. i had my truck in four wheel drive and my abs dont work. it just slid no pulsing in the brake pedal. i did not try it in two wheel drive it would not move in two wheel. it that normal?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:55 AM
first off... are you sure you have ABS?
(silly question, I know, but my fiance's ABS "wasn't working" and it turned out she didn't have ABS)

if yes, then check your fuse panel.
if it were a bad sensor, it should light up on the dash. Maybe your entire ABS module went bad? I'd go to a dealer and have them pull the codes.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
first off... are you sure you have ABS?
(silly question, I know, but my fiance's ABS "wasn't working" and it turned out she didn't have ABS)

if yes, then check your fuse panel.
if it were a bad sensor, it should light up on the dash. Maybe your entire ABS module went bad? I'd go to a dealer and have them pull the codes.
i know i have abs. when i put ball joints i forgot to plug the abs sensor back in and the abs light came on

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I was out in my 06 tonight and my abs works while in 4x4. I would try to check the fuses first. Is your ABS light on now?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Blang
I was out in my 06 tonight and my abs works while in 4x4. I would try to check the fuses first. Is your ABS light on now?
the light is on when i start the truck for a bout 5 seconds then it gos out. i have felt the abs before in two wheel drive. can abs lock the wheel when im on ice? it i hit the brakes kind of hard it felt like al for wheel locked up and the back end sided to the right

Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 AM
You can sill slide with ABS, but you should feel the brake pedal pulse when pushed hard.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by chrism9232
the light is on when i start the truck for a bout 5 seconds then it gos out. i have felt the abs before in two wheel drive. can abs lock the wheel when im on ice? it i hit the brakes kind of hard it felt like al for wheel locked up and the back end sided to the right
wow... way to propagate the Kentucky stereotype...

you might slide a bit, but you'll feel the abs pulse in the wheel and it should keep you on a straight course. This will be the same whether in four wheel drive or not. Something is not right.... I'd take it in to the dealer ASAP. This is not the time of year to be without ABS.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Abs

My 03 has 4X4 and ABS and when I lived in Colo. I sometimes had it in 4WD for weeks at a time and my ABS always worked and I rarely, if ever slid the tires, but did have alot of pulsating pedal. A wierd, hard to get used to feeling
I might add !

Quick Reply: abs when in 4x4