Revo LT or P?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Revo LT or P?

A little for ground. I recent sold some Toyo 325/60/18 AT's that were D rated that were mounted on Helo wheels. My truck is level with bilstien 5100's.

Liked the Toyo's but after the leveling shocks they rode rougher than I liked.

I decided to back down to a 17" and going to get the Bridgestone Revos. 285/70/17. I think I would like to get the P series tire since I didn't like the rough ride with Toyo's. But I'm concerned that the 17's will have more side wall that a P series tire might want to roll over on the front when turning.

The P series of the tire has about 300lb more load rating than my factory tires. But also a few hundred pounds less than my old Toyo's.

I really don't need the extra load rating but I want to make sure I get a tire drives the best. I know I like the Revo's since I had 2 sets of them on my ranger so I'm pretty set on them. Just don't know what load rating to get.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the LT's.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They both have their advanatages and disadvantages.

P series pros

Softer ride
Better gas mileage

Cons

They are at their limit on a light truck
Sidewalls are soft enough that they tuck under in turns causing leaning
Will not hold up as well in tough conditions

LT series

Pros

Handle much better in turns
Able to handle loads far better, especially for towing
Tougher in harsh conditions

Cons

Firmer/harsher ride
lower gas mileage

That being said, I will never use a P series tire on my truck. They are just to close to there limit, even at everyday use on a truck the siz of an F150.

PS - Don't go by the weight carrying capacity marked on a P series tire when using them on a light truck. They real limit in that application is about 90% of that number.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go with a load range C LT tire if available in your size. if not go with the D. i agree P rated tires on a truck suck!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I admit that the LT is probably better but when you look at the numbers the load rating for the P series bridgestone is still a lot higher than factory. Although I guess it needs to be since I'm increasing side wall height.

I don't tow or haul anything that pushes the truck to it's limit and 95% of the time it only sees paved roads. The usual exception is during deer season. So I really don't need the ruggedness of the LT

Factory = 2337
P bridgestone = 2833
D bridgestone = 3195

I'm just leary of the D rating since my toyo's were D's and they just road too rough for me with the bilstiens. Before the bilstiens it was fine but after it was just too much. Would there be any chance that the bridgstone D's would ride smoother than my previous toyo's?

The tire shop today tried to talk me out of the LT for 1/2 ton truck but I told them I needed to think about it some more. I think before I buy I'm going to see if they have a return period.

Thanks for the input

Old 01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a set of Toyo AT's 285x70x17 D rated and at 45 psi they ride rougher than my BFG D rated tires at the same psi. Maybe it's the construction of the tires? LT rated tires have really cut down the number of flat's I had been getting on P rated tires. None so far on the LT's. Great chart on the pro's and con's Kingfish.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Another difference is most companies do not have a mileage warranty on their LT sized tires. Even with the differences I think I am going with a LT load tire for my Expedition next time.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
If you're getting them this week, check out this thread for a 35% off coupon...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...one-tires.html

Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
How did you make out on the shipping of those wheels/tires drkstone?

I had LT rated Firestone Destinations that rode silk smooth, and I believe they also came with an 80,000km guarantee.FWIW

Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
How did you make out on the shipping of those wheels/tires drkstone?

I had LT rated Firestone Destinations that rode silk smooth, and I believe they also came with an 80,000km guarantee.FWIW
Actually a local guy ended up buying them on Friday. $200 was about as good as I could find on shipping.

I'm still uncertain on what tires to get for sure. Now I'm trying to decide which size of pro comp 7005 to get. either 17x8 w/ 4.5bs or 17x9 w/ 4.75 bs.

I just cannot make up my mind.

Quick Reply: Revo LT or P?