97 150 abs computer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 97 150 abs computer

My abs light is constantly on , also my brake light is steady on.
I have replaced the front , rear brakes and the sensor on top of the rear end.
I took it to a shop to read the codes, I was told there is nothing stored , the problem could be the computer itself.
Where is is located ? I have removed my radio , saw nothing.
this is on a 1997 F150 4.6 V8 RABS only.
Any tips ?
Thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
my abs light has been on since i bought it but the only time the brake light came on was when i blew a brake line and the master c was low

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 AM
My abs light has been coming on and off steadily for about 4 months and my mechanic told me it was my wheel bearings ( 4 wheel abs ) dont know if that even helps but???

Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a very common problem for that year truck. My friend has a 98, with your same problem. We grounded the wire in the passinger side kick panel and counted the flashes, reveiling code 4. The procedure to do this is in here, do a search.

We never found the cause, but research on code 4 lead us to believe it is in the connections. We loooked at all the connections and they looked fine, but never actually seperated them. They may be corroded, but my friend just decieded to live with the dash lights on.

If you or anyone else has corrected this problem, I would like to know the solution.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 AM
I had this issue when I bought the truck from a used car dealer. I had to take it back 4 times for them to fix it. First they replaced a front wheel, not sure why since its RWABS only. That fixed it for a day. Second they replaced all the brake pads and serviced the brakes and bled the lines. That fixed it for a day. Third they replaced the master cylinder. That fixed it for a day. Fourth the replaced the proportioning valve. Problem has not happened since. I've been told that there may or may not be a proportioning valve on this motor, but thats what they said they fixed and its working.

Quick Reply: 97 150 abs computer