I can't win for losing . . . . this wheel game . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't win for losing . . . . this wheel game . .

. . . . after finally deciding to get 20x9.5 Procomp 7005's in December, I call to order and eehhhhhhh - not in stock, not avail for several months, if at all. Another few weeks of browsing & call to order moto metal 951b's and eehhhhh - same story.
Today, I call to order 20x9 monsters with 5.71" backspace and 35" tires (325-60-20) and lady says eeehhhhh, fabtech says they won't work on 6" lift 2006 - will rub when over 5.25"bs. I called Fabtech and they agreed!

So I just searched another 3 hrs for 20x9 monsters, 6" lift and 5.71bs and most are stock w/level kit. 4x4AUTIGER has 'em w/6" fabtech with minor rubbing.

It seems crazy that the 20x9 monster set up would work on a leveled truck but rub the control arm on a lifted truck? and I def do not want the wheels way out like the 4.5"bs puts them.

I can't wait to get this truck lifted with some new shoes and post the pics.

Anyone else have much knowledge as to tire rubbing problems with my set-up?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe it's the way the knuckles are designed that cause the bs requirements.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can live with minor rubbing get the Monsters. I love mine to death! I get so many double takes now it's not even funny.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by mblouir
If you can live with minor rubbing get the Monsters. I love mine to death! I get so many double takes now it's not even funny.
I hear the 5.71 bs is fine with a leveled truck (i think i saw that you're leveled, right? and your's are the 5.71 bs)

I can tolerate some rubbing at full turn but i gather that with the 6" lift the tire will be real close to (rubbing) the control arm at all times. ??

i want to better understand what rubs ??

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you by chance call ProComp and talk to them? I talked to 4WP yesterday and the said the 7005's in the 17" size where discontinued so I called Procomp to verify and they said they were not discontinued. They are just currently out of stock and should be shipping wheels early to mid February. This was for the 17x8 or 17x9 wheels so I'm not sure what applies to the 20's.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by dkstone05
Did you by chance call ProComp and talk to them? I talked to 4WP yesterday and the said the 7005's in the 17" size where discontinued so I called Procomp to verify and they said they were not discontinued. They are just currently out of stock and should be shipping wheels early to mid February. This was for the 17x8 or 17x9 wheels so I'm not sure what applies to the 20's.
I have called procomp direct a couple times and they initially said what they told you. The last call I made to them was to try to understand if they had a firm date for production of the 7005's or is it a hopeful date. One guy's reply after some persistence was that it wasn't clear if the 7005 would ever be made in the near future. Now whether or not I was talking to the right person or not, is not clear. Nor was it clear if he was referring to just my 20x9.5 size - though we did talk about 7105's too.

He did imply the 7005 was never a big mover so they're production is no doubt driven my market forces and if it's been a dud by their measure then maybe it will never be made again. i never shopped for after market wheels before so what is the typical production "life cycle" of a given wheel ??

Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
He did imply the 7005 was never a big mover
i find that a little hard to believe since everyone and their mother on here has them

Quick Reply: I can't win for losing . . . . this wheel game . .