1987 F150 Front Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 F150 Front Brake Replacement

I just recently took my 1987 F150 into a shop to get an alignment done. They called me after they had pulled the tires off and told me that the wheel bearings were loose and would need to be "tightened" (I assume they meant packed) Then they told me that my brake pads and rotors were no good and needed replacing. I did not want them to replace the brakes--I just wanted the bearings packed and the alignment done. They told me that in order to replace the breaks in the future, the bearings would have to be repacked again. Is this true?? The truck is a 4x4 and has manual locking wheels. With this model of truck, do the bearings have to be repacked each time you change the breaks or were these guys screwing with me??

Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Wheel bearing repack recommended service is 30,000 miles. If you go digging, and are in water and muck, that does change things a bit. If they did "repack", then you are good. If the brakes don't shimmy, or shake the wheel when applied, you can just replace the pads. Times are tough now for mechanics. I'm actually gonna change fields in April. Just do it on the side.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok, maybe I didn't ask the question right. The mechanic told me that in order to replace the brakes, because of the truck being 4x4, I would have to repack the bearings. What he told me is that he was "trying to save me money" because if I repack the bearings now but don't change the breaks, they are going to have to redo it again when the breaks do get replaced. I mean, does changing the brakes have ANYTHING to do with wheel bearings?? Can I replace the brake pads and rotors without touching the wheel bearings in any way?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Brake pads you're ok. But in order to replace the rotors, you have to remove the rotor/hub assy from truck. Which means removing the bearings. The rotors are replaced by removing the wheel studs, replace the rotor, and reinstall the studs. So the answer to your question is no.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1987 F150 Front Brake Replacement