Tire Review, Pro Comp Xtream mud terrains

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Tire Review, Pro Comp Xtream mud terrains

Very late in posting on these tires. I have had them about 8 months now and put on about 15 to 18 k on them. They are 285 75 16s on a 2001 Expy.

Not as noisy as I thought they would be, provided you rotate! If you don't they wear baddly as this is a heavy truck. Gas suffered abit and ride quality is down from the BFG Allterains I had in the same size. If you run these at 40 psi for long trips you will notice improved mileage and the sound goes down noticeably. Installed these were 3/4 the price of the ATs.

On the dirt these tires are great. They dig in corners and hug the roads I frequent such as the road to Crown King (near Prescott AZ). They do very well in rocks but I when the rocks are sharp with steep inclines you can rip a lug off as the rubber seems a bit soft. The weight of the truck doesn't help here either.

We had a very wet monsoon season here in AZ and I spent archery season and scouting trips in the woods in Aug and Sept. These tires are (and should be) awesome in the mud. I took it easy at first as I really did not want to spend the weekend digging out of a hole but as we contined to move I found that these really performed well. I went many places the ATs would not have been able to.

I also have been able to ascend steaper and rougher terrain than the ATs. While 80 to 90 percent of the time this is on the road I really wanted a tire that would get me where I wanted to and then back again. They have done that. They do show some rock damage but that is to be expected in a heavy vehicle in the terrain that I frequent. The tread on the side definately aids in climbing and the mud.

Drawbacks: I wish I could fit a wider tire on this rig. Too much weight, the tires are easily overwellmed climing hills with loose dirt. Noise, as they wear, gets noisier. Still not driving me out of the truck and rotation would have helped this as well. Rough ride. Those lugs slapping the pavement will give you a noticably rougher ride at lower speads and in corners. A mud tire also does not wear as well as an AT. They were also a little squirmy towing a 24 foot deck boat but the boat was also right at the limit of what the expy could tow. In fact backing down a steep and wet boat ramp with these tires was VERY INTERESTING!

Verdict: If you want to or do spend a lot of time off road or, if off roading is more important than comfort, then these tires are deffinately worth a look. If noise bothers you (again not too bad and better than the BFG mud terrains I had on a toyota years ago) and you want a nice smooth ride, look elsewere. At 850 installed with a warranty I could not find much fault with these for what I asked them to do.

Quick Reply: Tire Review, Pro Comp Xtream mud terrains