Powerloss w/ 35's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerloss w/ 35's?

So I'm going back and forth between getting 33's and 35's and I've decided that I won't mind a small loss in MPG's for the better look of the 35's. When I ordered my Gryphon I talked to Bill and he said with the 35's I'll see some power loss and the Gryphon will help make up for some of it. I do not want to have to regear.

So all you guy's that have 35's on 2.5" leveling kit, how much power/mpg loss did you see. If you have added a Gryphon, did you compensate for the power loss and is it now a beast of a machine???

Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 AM
You could do an intake, exhaust, headers, pulley, custom tuner and it will still not gain all the lost power back without gears. You can make it more acceptable but don't expect to gain it all back with a tune. If you can, go with an AT over a MT, that itself will make the size increase more responsive to the throttle, and the mpg will be noticably better if you ran both back to back also.

Such changes and experiences vary with region, or terrain. Flat landers may see no problems since cruise can be set at 60-70mph, running od all day, all is fine. Where I live theres lots if hills, constant downshifting would occur, which would be annoying and gears not only would provide better power and more linear cruising, but better mpg since you can hold od for the majority of the hills, at least here anyway in my experience.

Last edited by hoseclamp; 02-03-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 AM
I plan on modding my stock intake into a CAI and adding a magnaflow exhaust to go w/ my Gryphon. I'm don't want to have to do any other mods besides those. I'm going witht he BFG All Terrain and I'll mostly be driving on flat land with occasional hills. I know I'm not going to be able to get all my power back, I just want it to still be able to have good response and decent power. I'm not trying to get max performance out of it, just trying to get decent mileage and good power from the bigger tires.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
You'll see a 1 to 2 mpg drop mostly in stop and go driving. On the highway it's not too bad. I still get 16-18 mpg. You will notice a difference from the stock tires though. A programmer will help but that's only an electronic fix to a mechanical problem. Regearing would be best.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the same situation here. I want to get 35's but don't want to shell out the cash for a tuner or gears.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
In all reality, I havn't really noticed any normal driving power loss with the 35s. Drpped MPG around 2-3 but IMO it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Powerloss w/ 35's?