Feathering Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feathering Tires

I need some opinions. in November I had Bilstien's HD's installed all the way around and also at the same time replaced my tires with Michelin MT2's at that time I had a wheel alignment done because I wanted to make sure these tires lasted as long as the last set. I was also hoping that it would resolve the feel of the truck wandering (which it didn't). I drove the truck for almost 1000 miles and the tire's were quiet and had even tire wear. Then i had some odd noises and took my truck to the dealer. They said water had gotten into my hub actuator. So they replaced the solinoid and actuators. I also had an oil change and rotated the tires. At first I thought this was great because the wandering totally disappeared. But the truck started sounding like I was driving on big knobby tires (really loud). Also the tires were feathering from front to back (front tires only). I took the truck back to the dealer. ( I do trust the dealer) They checked the alignment and said it is within spec's. I had a tire rotation and oil changed done. They checked all the joint and said everything is good.
However the truck still sounds like I am driving on loud knobby tires so I am not convinced the alignment is correct and I am concerned I will destroy my tires and do other damage.
Does anyone have suggestions
I have a 2005 SCrew FX4 with 86,000 miles on it and it is well maintained.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Anyone?
Do dealers only check Alignment to factory specs?
Is there any part in the hub actuator repair that could have been installed wrong?
From searches it seems like its a toe-in issue. Any one know what would be likely causes of this?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Normally feathering is casued by a toe in or out problem.Ide go have another shop check your alignment.

Quick Reply: Feathering Tires