Wheel Tire Help/TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel Tire Help/TPMS

Hey All,

Getting ready to jump on a set of wheels I really like, but need opinion on the offset and tire help. I'm looking at a set of wheels that are a 18X8.5 with a +30mm offset and 6 inches of backspacing. I'm wondering if this configuration will have a good stance with a 33" tire. I don't want the wheels to stick way out, but I don't want them making the truck look narrow either. What do you all think?

Tires, I'm looking at a 33" A/T tire of some sort, but I can't find anything that's not a 10 ply/E rated. Most of these tires show air pressure around 80 psi. Will this have an effect on the TPMS sensors on the truck. If so, how do I go about getting them fixed? Or should I scrap the idea of a 10 ply tire and figure it out?

Also, I plan on installing the 2" AS leveling kit before I get the wheel and tires.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those wheels will only stick out 1/2 inch farther than the oem wheels so 33's will fit fine.
As for the TPMS, it is set up to detect low air pressure only I believe.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Wandell says, they only monitor when the pressure drops below a set point. Running E Range tires isn't an issue.

The only problem that I've run into was during the dismounting of a tire. The tech doing the work didn't notice Ford's warning stamp on the rim and damaged the sensor. Good thing it happened when he was dismounting the tire and saw found the broken sensor.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
Those wheels will only stick out 1/2 inch farther than the oem wheels so 33's will fit fine.
As for the TPMS, it is set up to detect low air pressure only I believe.
I think they are preset with a certine max temp too becasue mine go off when air pressure drops to certine level. If your going from like 35psi to like 80 i think is what was said at what point whould the sensor go off? If its same point as factory tires then i would be like around in the 20s pis i think, wouldnt that destroy the tire if it can hold 80 some psi?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running a load range E can be an issue. A good pressure to run a LR E max 80 on an F150 is 50. The sensors however, are rated for a max pressure of 50. It is even molded into the sensor.. Going over that may damage the sensor. Also, I am not sure, but they may also be set off by too high a pressure. For certain, the too low pressure setting will be too low compared to OE tires. It would be set to a higher pressure if the OE tires had been LR E max 80.

Quick Reply: Wheel Tire Help/TPMS