HUGE tires on non-lifted 2wd F150 ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUGE tires on non-lifted 2wd F150 ???

Ya' know, a few months ago I saw an F150 with HUGE fat tires shoved anotherneath a stock F150. It surprised me so much, I even posted about it.

Well yesterday, I pull up beside a guy (different F150... an 04-08) which also had HUGE BFG AT's under it. So I looked over at a stop, and motioned for him to roll down his window. I asked him how big his tires were and I could not freaking believe it..... 37"s !!! Of course I had to ask him... "Do they rub" ? He said, "Yea.... a little, if I turn too tight". But I'm sitting their thinking, I can't believe they fit AT ALL !

Now that I flash back on that F150 I posted about a few months ago, those had to be 37"s too. And BTW, neither of these trucks even had a 2" front leveling lift on them !

Man, I'm having a hard time believing that I couldn't fit 35"s "with" a 2" front level..... OR, does this all have to do with the offset of the rims ???

I don't remember the wheels the first guy was running, but this guy yesterday had some kind of chrome aftermarkets....

Hmmmm. Freaking crazy.

Have any of you guys seen trucks like this in your area too ?

Fish

Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything is possible, but that doesn't mean you should do it. I mean, they make thongs in size XXXL but that doens't mean it's gonna look good.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lmao!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Anything is possible, but that doesn't mean you should do it. I mean, they make thongs in size XXXL but that doens't mean it's gonna look good.

wow.

yeah anyone running 37's on a truck without a lift is gonna rub. theres no way around it. If they tell you they dont then they are liars. next time you seem him ask him to take you for a ride and see how he drives. probably has to angle into every conver so not to turn the wheels too sharp.

Even with prerunner fender flares you can fit up to a 37" tire under them but they have to be on the EXACT right rim. If not they will contact the frame, or anything else behind the tire.

IMO the few we have seen with 37's and no lift are alittle shy with the TRUE results of there tire choices.

I ran 36's on a 99 4x4 with a body lift and torsion bars cranked. They rubbed everything. Normal driving on the road was bad enough that i hacked my bumper up (no big deal to me). Then offroad they would rub even worse. And ill tell people that i dont recommend the setup i ran, i still wont recommend it.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM

amen brother !!

could be "virtual lift". Meaning cutting and hack underneath, keep the COG low, but still lifts the difs and what not up and out of the way.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM

That was the best thing i've heard in a while!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I'm running 325/60-18's on my 2wd. I have 2" drop shackel's installed. I bought the tire's and rim's together and figured I might as well run these tire's until they wear out then i'll drop down to an appropriate sized tire. Mine rub when I turn the wheel's to full lock as far as trimming goes all I had to trim was the end's of the front valance. I'm not a big fan of how they look but tire's aren't cheap and i'm gonna run these till they need replaced.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Lmao perfect analogy. Great job Wandell lol

Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys....

Hey Wandell, yes, I have to agree, it did look rather strange. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it looked bad.... Just kind of odd.

Still, I think if I could squeeze 35"s under mine (with my next set.... which might be several years down the road still) that with the styling of my truck, and a 2" front level / lift, it would look pretty good.

Tell me again Wandell, or anyone, what type of offset would help me with this ? I forget what my wheels offset is now....

Hmmm.
Fish

PS, Hey 2004Triton, while 37"s on a non-lifted truck might look weird, a lowered street truck, with wide *** low profile street tires looks "right". Of course whether or not somebody is into that or not would be up to them. I like lowered street trucks too.

Last edited by Fish Chris; 03-10-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The oem 17 and 18 inch wheels have 5.5 inches of backspacing.

Quick Reply: HUGE tires on non-lifted 2wd F150 ???