Tire size: Speedometer results question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys. I was going the opposite way for some reason. I thought that my speedo was reading higher than than I was really going. So you are saying when you put bigger tires on you are putting less miles on the speedo than what you are actually going?

Sorry for the ignorance....

Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Because my gps states I am going 65 with the new tires, speedometer states I am going 69. So I am putting more miles on my truck than what I am really doing.

Do you think that my speedometer has been change? I am the second owner so maybe the speedometer has been mess with from stock (although i don't think so because it didn't have a leveling kit so I don't think that larger tires have been tossed under it ).

Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hollamby
So you are saying when you put bigger tires on you are putting less miles on the speedo than what you are actually going?
That is correct.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Ok gonna try to make this make sense. It does in my head but not sure if imma get it out right here.
U guys talk about getting a programmer instead of recalibrating your speedo. Does the programmer fix your speedo or are u just using the programmer as you MPH checker?
Also if the programmer doesnt fix your speedo than the whole time u are are running bigger tires without having the speedo recalibrated u are putting less miles on the ODO than what u are really driving right?
As an example (not exact figure) say i go on a trip and my odo says it took me 300 miles to get there depending on the tire size i would have actually drove say 340 miles.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM
On top of the programmer actually giving you a little boost in HP, there are parameters in the unit that will actually allow you to change the outside diameter of the tire so your speedo/odometer will be correct.

Last edited by jimmyv13; 03-24-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by stormtech
That is correct.
Than shouldn't my speedo speed read less than my gps speed not more?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Lepricon
Ok gonna try to make this make sense. It does in my head but not sure if imma get it out right here.
U guys talk about getting a programmer instead of recalibrating your speedo. Does the programmer fix your speedo or are u just using the programmer as you MPH checker?
Also if the programmer doesnt fix your speedo than the whole time u are are running bigger tires without having the speedo recalibrated u are putting less miles on the ODO than what u are really driving right?
As an example (not exact figure) say i go on a trip and my odo says it took me 300 miles to get there depending on the tire size i would have actually drove say 340 miles.
No, the programmer does recalibrate the speedometer and odemeter. It's just done with a program in the trucks computer as opposed to the old method of having a gear in the transmission. The computer program is told what size the tires are now and it recalibrates the speedometer.

Quick Reply: Tire size: Speedometer results question