Squeeky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeeky Brakes

Hey everyone,

I did my breaks at 47,000 miles and the trucks got 52,000 on it now. About a week ago my brakes started squeeking pretty bad. Just about everytime i go to stop.

Any ideas on what could cause this? Cause the pads still look brand new.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Are you a light braker or hard one? Were they bedded in properly?

If they did not squeak before but do now after 5k they may need to be re-bedded. If you drive lightly make sure your pistons are working correctly. Is your caliper a floating caliper? If not your piston may be retracting enough to allow the pad to resonate on the rotor. If it's during stopping only they may need to sand each side of the rotor with some 120 wet/dry paper and rebed them:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I have the same problem too. Only when braking though. I am a light braker also. I guess I'll have to take a look at the piston's and bedding. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Some brakes never get bedded properly because of the way the braking occurs if lightly. I had an instance with my truck where I put a set of our Akebono Pro Act Ceramic pads on it and they were very loud, even after a few thousand miles. I drive very lightly. Our guys actually had me go out and brake hard in cycles to build some heat and to get some transfer material into the rotors. Worked like a charm. Noise went away and brakes got better.

I admit I did not follow the above bedding procedure. Had I there would not have been an issue.

Quick Reply: Squeeky Brakes