dragging brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dragging brakes

Hello, I have a problem with my driver side front brake. It is dragging pretty bad. I have replaced the calipers, pads, brake hose, and the master cylinder. And still cannot get rid of the problem. I have a 1999 f150 with front anti-lock brakes and it has a 4.2 engine with around 220k miles on it. The brake lines look pretty good and I might try and replace them. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also when I try to bleed the lines, the flow of the fluid looks a little restricted compared to the other 3. I'm not a mechanic by any means, just someone who tries to work on it to save money.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 AM
maybe you got a bad hose on that side? (only a guess because you say the fluid flow is slow during bleed)

but my first guess would be that you need to check the sliders on the caliper. Make sure they freely move. You might need to clean and grease them.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
The sliders have been cleaned and lubed, they slide really good. And I have checked to flow of fluid with the old hose too with the same results. Which made me think about replacing the lines too. Thinking although they look OK, there might be a small bend or nick that I cant see or some crud in the lines since the truck had so many miles on it.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Ok, I replaced the 2 brakes and they still are dragging. I dont know maybe there is something wrong with the abs module (not sure if that is what it is called). I dont know anything about them, can they be cleaned out or rebuilt? Or maybe I got a bad caliper.

Quick Reply: dragging brakes