Doh ! I'm a dum-bass... Did I hurt anything ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doh ! I'm a dum-bass... Did I hurt anything ?

Okay so yesterday, after pulling my boat out of the lake, I load everything up, and get on the road. Push it up to about 55mph. I drive for about 1 mile, and it starts feeling like the road is washboarded ??? .....but it looks fine.... in fact, it looks recently repaved ? Hmmmm. So the road starts to straighten a little bit, and I try to hit cruise control.... and it won't ingage ? WTF ???

Now the washboard feeling is getting worse, and so I look for a good place to pull over (can anybody guess yet what my dum-bass was doing ?)
So, I'm walking around the truck and trailer looking for damaged, or flat tires, etc. All looks fine.

I get back in the truck, and I notice my freaking e-brake light is on ! I pull the brake handle, and it barely pops up. Only like 1/4". Obviously, if my e-brake had been completely locked up, I would not have rolled 2 feet without noticing it. But apparently, it was just barely dragging.... not enough to really bog me down, but enough to eventually heat up the brakes... and enough to prevent the setting of my cruise control.

So anyway, the funny thing is, I never smelt anything, even when I got out and walked around the truck and boat ? Everything was fine after that. It braked fine... cruise control worked fine.....

But damnit Jim ! I hate to do that to my brakes. Probably put about 1000 miles of wear on them, huh ? Anybody here ever do this ? If so, did it act the same way ? Lesson learned ! Watch for the freaking e-brake symbol on the dash, especially after launching the boat (where I always use the e-brake).

Hmmm,
Fish

Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You didn't damage the regular braking system, the parking brake is a small drum brake in the rear rotor. I'd have a look and see if there's any rust on the parking brake levers. With you going into the water back there it may be rusting, which is apparently an issue on these trucks.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
no, the e-brakes are in a drum on your rear brake rotors and are not part of your service brakes. The most you did was heat up and glaze the drum. No biggie.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

rear disk brakes have seperate pads for the normal everyday brakes and the drum brakes used for the E-brake.

all you did is possibly wear out your e-brake faster.

I think I have a pic.
It's hard to see but here you can see the shoes for the E-brake. the disk has been removed.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:37 PM

I would have been the first to reply but I went to the trouble of finding a pic!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Right on....

thanks guys. Now I'm glad I asked. Learn something every day, right ?

So, about the e-brakes being seperate, even if I put a whole bunch of unneccsary wear and tear on them with this one stupid move "just so long as I never do that again" I can't see how they would "ever" wear out.... seeing as they are not used to stop the truck, but only to hold it still, in one place. I mean, if their is never any friction...... ???

Hmmmm,
Thanks again,
Fish

Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I did the same thing pulling the boat out of New Melones awhile back

Have you ever left the plug out of the boat?, it falls into the same category

Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
cruise wont engage if the pedal is pushed down 1/4" or 4"

the PCM knows that E-brake is electronically engaged (light is on) and will not allow cruise to activate.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rodsmith

Where's all the water coming from?? Oh @#$% hurry up and get past the no wake zone and open this baby up!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by rodsmith

wow, do i have a story for you.

I was up in Canada, and we were enjoying a nice day of fishing, my buddies friend pulls up in his boat and hops aboard to drink a beer.

He's in our boat for awhile while his boat is tied up next to ours, his dog all of a sudden jumps form his baot to ours. At the time, we thought nothing of it.

About 10 minutes later i see his boat about 1/4 filled with water.

I said he needed to take off and go full throttle on that bad boy and head back to the launch, but the idiot refused and said he felt unsafe driving it

He let his boat sink to the bottom of the friggin atlantic.

All because he left the plug out. I couldn't believe it, i felt like slapping him across the face, how can you be that dumb??????????

But hey, it's a good story to tell.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Fish,
Man you got off easy compared to the guy I watched last summer. We had been scalloping all day and were loading up when these IDIOTS with a 22' deck boat pulled up to load. The guy that owned the boat had a 05-07 Stroke. He back it in and got out to load the boat. Well he told one of his retarded buddys to pull him out. This dumbass couldn't figure out why the truck wouldn't move so he locked in the 4x4. The rearend started popping REAL loud and a big bang followed that. They blew the rear diff apart. All this because the retard didn't look at the E-brake.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06hdfxst
Fish,
Man you got off easy compared to the guy I watched last summer. We had been scalloping all day and were loading up when these IDIOTS with a 22' deck boat pulled up to load. The guy that owned the boat had a 05-07 Stroke. He back it in and got out to load the boat. Well he told one of his retarded buddys to pull him out. This dumbass couldn't figure out why the truck wouldn't move so he locked in the 4x4. The rearend started popping REAL loud and a big bang followed that. They blew the rear diff apart. All this because the retard didn't look at the E-brake.
This is where weeding out the gene pool comes in handy.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson

Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson
Just drain it once in a while, its safer that way.

Quick Reply: Doh ! I'm a dum-bass... Did I hurt anything ?