Speedometer adjustment with bigger tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer adjustment with bigger tires?

Hey i am going to put 33's on my truck and was wondering if you need to get the speedometer adjusted with the bigger tires and if so how big of a hassle is it?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by benny2011a
Hey i am going to put 33's on my truck and was wondering if you need to get the speedometer adjusted with the bigger tires and if so how big of a hassle is it?
You can measure the height of your current tire or look it up at www.discounttire.com. They even have a calulator that will tell you the difference in sizes. Whatever the percentage difference is is the percent your speedo will be off. You can get it reprogrammed at the dealer for $80 to $100 or you can use this as a downpayment on a tuner which will let you adjust for the different tire size.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
You don't have to have it recalibrated, but it will be off. In my old hunting truck I just use my gps for looking at the speed, or if you plan on buying a programmer: you can change it that away. But you can go over to the Stealership and they will recalibrate it, for a hefty price, probably.

Edit: Bluejay beat me to it....He made a real good point about using the money for a down payment on a programmer....they are very nice to have.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by JWBFX4
You don't have to have it recalibrated, but it will be off. In my old hunting truck I just use my gps for looking at the speed, or if you plan on buying a programmer: you can change it that away. But you can go over to the Stealership and they will recalibrate it, for a hefty price, probably.

Edit: Bluejay beat me to it....He made a real good point about using the money for a down payment on a programmer....they are very nice to have.
Yes, and if you have the tuner, you can adjust it yourself, if you change sizes again, in the future. I have two sets of wheels and tires that I swap, makes it easy.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
ok thanks guys

Quick Reply: Speedometer adjustment with bigger tires?