Rear rotors - can't get them off

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear rotors - can't get them off

I need some help ! In replacing my rear brakes I wanted to remove the rotors to inspect the emergency brake. It took some help from here to locate the adjuster to loosen the e-brake. Done ! I just can't get the rotors off. I am wondering if a pulley puller would help using the center of the axle to leverage off of. I have tried the PB-blaster - but of course it just runs down the rotor onto the floor.

Anyway, I replaced the pads because they really needed it. I haven't given up on the removing the rotors. The fronts seemed fine. They were replaced earlier. I purchase the Wagner thermoquiets. $15 rebate right now. Not sure whether I got the ceramics or semi. Didn't ask. $48 for the set minus the rebate is not a bad price.

After replacing I am getting a bit of shudder. Seems like it is coming from the front. The shudder was worse before I replaced them, this is what led me to discover how bad the rears were.

I would like to keep the rears or maybe have them turned.

Any help would surely be appreciated.

Thanks,

2004 XLT 4x4 new style

Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Maybe someone else will chime in, but it sounds like they have maybe rusted to your axle. Get a BFH and a piece of wood...try to hit them at the 12oclock and 6oclock positions...then try to pull it off. Make sure you wear eye protection and keep your feet and legs out of the way in case it decides to jump off....Good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
They are a major pain in the butt to get off. I swapped my rotors out but it took a 5 lbs sledge hammer and 45 minutes of swingging to get them off. I also soaked them over night. The rotors were completly destroyed.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have had to cut them off with a plasma, they got warped

Quick Reply: Rear rotors - can't get them off