new tires installed, question...hey wandell ;0)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tires installed, question...hey wandell ;0)

have a 2001 screw w/ leveling springs in the front and helper shocks on the rear. total height before new tires was 36" now about 38" with new tires.

they are 285/75/16 and fit great! one problem...only on full steering lock to the left (driver's side) it will rub the frame. steering lock to the other direction is fine. why do you think it is okay one way and not the other.

i just got a wheel alignment yesterday and it still does it. i have the adjustable uppers and the camber is good on both sides too. it really isn't that big a deal, i just don't go all the way to the left, but sometimes i forget (it is new to me) and it makes that horrible feeling and noise when the **** on the tire rub the frame.

they are BFG A/T TA KOs nice tire ;0)

later,

Hank

ENJOY THE CRAPTACULAR PICTURES ;0)

Last edited by bimmeranger; 04-22-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure if these trucks have adjustable steering stops, but that is probably it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
does have bump stop, but not adjustable. the one on the passengers side is fine. the driver's is not. i can solve the problem by welding a nut on the end of the bump stop on the driver's side. that will lengthen it and help stop this problem.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Has the truck even been wrecked?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
nope

Old 04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
OK I know you have a simple fix for this but it really got me curious. I have done some reading and wonder if the leveling springs did not change some angles in your steering system resulting in unequal left to right total travel when pitman arm is all the way in or out. I would think this would have been a problem since the day the kit was installed but you did not notice it until the larger tires were installed as they filled the rest of the gap.

Im guessing your turning radius is better in one direction than the other???

Out of curiosity I am going to continue reading on this, I will let you know if I find anything else out. If you want, do a search on recirculating ball steering that should be a good starting point.

Quick Reply: new tires installed, question...hey wandell ;0)