Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THE_CAPTN
Your wife is only 5 inches tall, damn! LOL
I wonder if her name is JILL?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by dbhost
Okay, for those that know my from here, yeah, I finally got my MTs. I had to wear out a set of BFG All terrains to get here, but I am happy with the results.

The setup.
'04 XLT 4x4
Auto Spring 2.5" leveling kit.
Pro Comp 1089 17x9 rims
Hercules Trail Digger MT 35x12.50/17

They are certainly stuffed, but that is okay, big tire with lowish overall step in height was critical. My wife is 5" tall and we are trying to grow our family. You want a 5" pregnant woman trying to climb up into a 6" plus lifted truck on 35s? I don't...

Anyway, a little trimming, and honestly, some whacking at the corner of the inside rear of the front wheel wells provide ample clearance for the tires. (3lb body hammer used in the supervision of a professional body man to get this done).

As you can see from the pics, I am now in desparate need of flares.

I am considering going with a 4" lift, but I really want to keep height low. I have some more "adjusting" to do to make sure that I don't rub at radical angles.

If I could go back in time, I would have gotten my rims 8" instead of 9". That would have given me plenty fo space to work with... I don't know about the factory 18 or 20" rims, but I know the guys running 35s on factory 17s are going to wear the crown of the tire too fast, and never have full traction from the tires, which is why why we want big meat in the first place right?

Anyway, there's the pics..

What is the backspacing? Without searching for the wheel specs, I'm guessing 4.75" or something close, judging by the way the tires stick out a bit. I half way think about aftermarket wheels quite often in order to through some camburg upper arms on, but I don't want my tires shoved way out with only a 2" leveling kit. I'll probably keep the stockers for a while unless I end up lifting it, then I'll determine the wheels based on what fits the lift kit.
As it sits now, the absolute widest I would want would be 8" wheel with 5" of backspacing, which would probably require slight trimming of some plastic (no big deal). I just don't like how stuffed the tires look when they are shoved out of the wheel well too far with only a leveling kit.
And FYI, I'm actually getting pretty good tread contact with the proper tire pressure, but of course a wider wheel would be better for the tire. I really haven't had any problems running 12.50" wide tires on 8" wheels for the last seven years though, and so long as they are rotated regularly they don't wear all that bad.

Last edited by brianjwilson; 05-04-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
Your truck looks great! I love how the tires don't look shoved out bad. I would be very curious to know what the backspacing is on those. It looks like the previous owner cut a little bit of the inner fender liner to clear them. Again, who cares about that stuff really. I had to trim a bit on my sport trac with the 33's, but it was all inside the fender where no one would notice.

Edit:
Just checked, the pro comp website and it lists that wheel only with 4.75 backspacing. It doesn't look they they stick out that far...

Last edited by brianjwilson; 05-04-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
What is the backspacing? Without searching for the wheel specs, I'm guessing 4.75" or something close, judging by the way the tires stick out a bit. I half way think about aftermarket wheels quite often in order to through some camburg upper arms on, but I don't want my tires shoved way out with only a 2" leveling kit. I'll probably keep the stockers for a while unless I end up lifting it, then I'll determine the wheels based on what fits the lift kit.
As it sits now, the absolute widest I would want would be 8" wheel with 5" of backspacing, which would probably require slight trimming of some plastic (no big deal). I just don't like how stuffed the tires look when they are shoved out of the wheel well too far with only a leveling kit.
And FYI, I'm actually getting pretty good tread contact with the proper tire pressure, but of course a wider wheel would be better for the tire. I really haven't had any problems running 12.50" wide tires on 8" wheels for the last seven years though, and so long as they are rotated regularly they don't wear all that bad.
That is a good guess on the backspacing. From what I have read on the 4wheelparts.com website, which is where I got my wheels. The 17x9s in 6@135mm rims all seem to have that backspacing... I could be wrong though... Looking at TJ05FX4's truck, I am not sure those are 9" wide rims, but rather 8"... The dish to the rim doesn't look deep enough for 9"

Last edited by dbhost; 05-04-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by dbhost
That is a good guess on the backspacing. From what I have read on the 4wheelparts.com website, which is where I got my wheels. The 17x9s in 6@135mm rims all seem to have that backspacing... I could be wrong though... Looking at TJ05FX4's truck, I am not sure those are 9" wide rims, but rather 8"... The dish to the rim doesn't look deep enough for 9"
I was able to confirm that they are 17x9's and they are in fact the 4.75" backspacing. I found the serial # on the wheel and called up ProComp and they confirmed it for me.

I am pretty sure part of the inner fender liner was trimmed a bit, but I don't have a stock one to compare to figure out just how much. I can see it was, but it wasn't much at all.

Here's a couple more pictures that I have that may show how far they stick out a little better. I don't have any looking directly from the front, but this is about as good as I've got.

Last edited by TJ05FX4; 05-04-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, now THAT looks like 17x9 with 4.75" backspacing for sure!

Not only would the inner liner have been trimmed, but the metal behind that either cut out, or adjusted rearward with a hammer... At least that is what it took for me.

Quick Reply: 35s/aftermarket wheels with level kit