Toyo M/T's VS. BFG M/T's

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I forgot to mention, these tires would be mounted on the stock 20's you see in the pictures. From what I get when I look through other threads is that they will fit, however there will be minor rubbing at full lock, correct? If so, I have no issue with that.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I hope it is OK to hop in on this thread. I am in the same boat trying to figure out tires. I currently have Hankook Dyanapros 325/60r18 and am looking for a good set of mud tires. Primarily for the look. I bought my truck used but have been told it has a 6" lift.

I like the Toyo Open County MT's, but they don't come in that size. Well, if I did the conversion right I think I just found 33-1250R18's. I was originally going to ask if 35-1250R18's would work. Would the slightly larger tire affect anything?? Would it make the truck look better?? I'm kind of dumb at this stuff so any input would be appreciated.

Also, I was considering new wheels also, but not sure I wanted so spend $3k or more for tires and wheels. Is there a demand for used tires and wheels that are in decent shape?

How often should mud tires be rotated?? I have had the truck for 15 months/10k miles and the truck shakes pretty bad in that 60-65mph range. They say it's the tires. Would proper rotation have prevented that?? Sorry for so many questions.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 AM
my vote is for the km2s

Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by bpciprez
I hope it is OK to hop in on this thread. I am in the same boat trying to figure out tires. I currently have Hankook Dyanapros 325/60r18 and am looking for a good set of mud tires. Primarily for the look. I bought my truck used but have been told it has a 6" lift.

I like the Toyo Open County MT's, but they don't come in that size. Well, if I did the conversion right I think I just found 33-1250R18's. I was originally going to ask if 35-1250R18's would work. Would the slightly larger tire affect anything?? Would it make the truck look better?? I'm kind of dumb at this stuff so any input would be appreciated.

Also, I was considering new wheels also, but not sure I wanted so spend $3k or more for tires and wheels. Is there a demand for used tires and wheels that are in decent shape?

How often should mud tires be rotated?? I have had the truck for 15 months/10k miles and the truck shakes pretty bad in that 60-65mph range. They say it's the tires. Would proper rotation have prevented that?? Sorry for so many questions.
I have a 6" lift and the EXACT same rims as you, and I have 35s. I think 35s will look much better on your truck than 33s. Look at my gallery for an Idea of what yours will look like with 35s, it will essentially be the same. I have the KM2s in 35/12.5r18

Rotate every 3-4k for longest life on MTs. My truck doesn't shake at all (the steering wheel does slightly at ~65mph but thats what MTs do).

Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 AM
im looking to decide between the km2's and the toyo mt's as well. my main thing is that im starting college this fall and need to get which ever tire will handle the 7 1/2 hour drive from tampa to auburn tread wear wise. i love the km2's but have heard really mixed reviews on life expectancy and street manners. i want these tires because i plan on spending a lot of time off road once i get to school, but i want to make sure im not going to slide off the road or only get like 30k or less miles out of them due to the long interstate runs. i do plan on rotating them every 3k or so. what ever i get im sure it will do me better than my stock bald wranglers that have almost wrecked me twice now due to letting go on some slippery dirt roads

Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by whitt91
im looking to decide between the km2's and the toyo mt's as well. my main thing is that im starting college this fall and need to get which ever tire will handle the 7 1/2 hour drive from tampa to auburn tread wear wise. i love the km2's but have heard really mixed reviews on life expectancy and street manners. i want these tires because i plan on spending a lot of time off road once i get to school, but i want to make sure im not going to slide off the road or only get like 30k or less miles out of them due to the long interstate runs. i do plan on rotating them every 3k or so. what ever i get im sure it will do me better than my stock bald wranglers that have almost wrecked me twice now due to letting go on some slippery dirt roads
I'm in college as well and put on a lot of miles during winter for hunting and for trips to the mountains in the snow. I drive a lot offroad, and in the rain all the time. it floods often here in the Central Valley, so I drive through running water on pavement as well. The KM2s have great road manners in the wet weather and are awesome offroad. And like I said, they are wearing fine. Rotating every 3k, and after 10k they show very little wear at all.

Toyos will give you similar results, although I cannot comment on their performance in weather.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I'm in college as well and put on a lot of miles during winter for hunting and for trips to the mountains in the snow. I drive a lot offroad, and in the rain all the time. it floods often here in the Central Valley, so I drive through running water on pavement as well. The KM2s have great road manners in the wet weather and are awesome offroad. And like I said, they are wearing fine. Rotating every 3k, and after 10k they show very little wear at all.

Toyos will give you similar results, although I cannot comment on their performance in weather.
all right thanks man, thats exactly what im looking to hear about these tires. im really hoping that all the people who get bad tread life from them are just guys who dont know how to take care of tires

Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The KM2s are ~13 pounds lighter per tire (on average) than the Toyos. This means less rolling mass, better gas mileage.
I forgot the weight difference between the 2....

Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I found a set of Firestone Destination MT's in 325/65/18. That is very close size wise but not exact. Would those work and does anyone have an opinion on them??

Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Alright, so this morning I went to check the clearance between the inside sidewall and the upper control arm. The clearance seems to be only 1" or so and nothing more. My current Terra Grapps have an overall width of 11"......the 35x12.5x20 Toyo's have an overall width of 13". I know everyone has said they will clear, but it seems like I may have some clearance issues...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I have heard folks say that some manufacturers are a little wider than others, and have heard that the side lugs on the Toyos are bigger and can catch. I would think it would still only rub on full lock, and I guess it depends how often you go full lock. If it is rarely, I'd go for it as the look will be better with the 35s v 33s; but if the rubbing will bother you or you just don't want rubbing, then you may have to measure a different manufacturer or go 33s. Good luck and post pics after you get them.

And this is just my opinion as I am still rocking the Scorpions.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, those Scorpions are sweet! So sweet that I decided to burn 'em! Haha, not really but that's probably what I should have done. Anyhow, I'm not worried about them rubbing at full lock, I'm just worried that they will touch/rub the control arm even when the tires are pointed straight. I just don't want continuous rubbing. Some people mentioned something about 1/4" spacers to help with the rubbing but I also read that they may cause unwanted vibration.....and I don't want that.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I have the toyos on my truck, only difference is i have the OEM 18s, I also have 2.5 as leveling kit. The side lugs on the toyos rubbed at all times, put spacers, then balanced and aligned and had slight rubbing when turning (minor trimming on front valence=no more rubbing). Have about 3000 miles on them, no problems so far. Maybe with the 20s
you wont need the spacers.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 PM
What size spacers did you use?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I narrowed it down between the KM2s and Toyos as well. Here is why I went with the KM2s:

1) The KM2s are just as quiet as the Toyos. I can confirm this because my friend has Toyos and I have the KM2s. Both tires are nearly as quiet as aggressive ATs (like the Nittos and Procomps).

2) The KM2s wear very well. At 10k miles mine have barely worn, rotating every 3k I dont see any reason I wont see 50k+ out of this set. People have seen similar mileage from the Toyos, both have great tread wear.

3) The KM2s looks more aggressive than the Toyos and perform excellent both on and offroad.

4) The KM2s are ~13 pounds lighter per tire (on average) than the Toyos. This means less rolling mass, better gas mileage.

5) EVERYBODY has Toyos, very few people have KM2s (since they have only been out for 1.5 years or so). It makes my truck more unique I guess.

6) The KM2s are less expensive than the Toyos.

Both are great tires, you really can't go wrong with either one. Just laying out my personal experience for you.
i 2nd this COMPLETELY!
I myself have just made my purchase on the km2s and they are suchhh an awesome tire. they look ridiculously beefy on my truck and i can attest to their grip capabilities offroad. i have about 1k on them right now and i paid 997 out the door for 285/75/16s from americas best/discount tire
i have 3 friends with toyo mts one in a 33 one in a 35 and one in a 37.

i can say that yes they are great tires but also $$ and if u decide to get certs with them that accounts for even more $$
i personally wanted to be different and get the km2s and it was a great choice. i was actually about to do a write up on them so look for that sometime soon.
if you want any questions answered about the toyo i can find out from my 3 friends, and if you want any questions answered about the km2s i will do my best to answer them as i use them more.

good luck man! either way ur truck will look pretty beefy

Quick Reply: Toyo M/T's VS. BFG M/T's