Suggestions wanted for tire selection

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions wanted for tire selection

My Toyo OpenCountry AT's (325x60R18 on Stockers) are just about done for. So, it's time to start looking for replacements again.

To give you an idea of what I do and what I need

Truck has a 2" lift front 1 1/2" lift in rear 4x4

I've really been pleased with the performance and wear of my current tire.
They have taken my truck everywhere I expected it to go and some places that I didn't expect it to make it.

Most of my time is spent on road with some long trips. i.e. skiing in NM/CO; Camping in CO,AR,OK,TX,NM; Hunting in TX/OK.

Conditions my truck sees off road is 90% sugar sand 10% super slick clechie mud. It is off road enough to be in 4x4 at least once per month. Lots more often during hunting season, ski season, and summer camping.

Thought about going up to a 35" but was about $400 more for a little more tire.

That should give you an idea of what they go through. Thought I might grab a few suggestions before just running out and pulling the trigger on a new set of Toyo AT's.

I like the Toyo MT's but not sure I want to spend "that" much for them, and worried about them rubbing on the a arms since my AT's are quite close.
Also like the BFG's but from thier price I think there are better values out there.

I know this is also inviting "bias'ed" (pardon the pun) oppinions but just wanted to look at others first.

Some suggestions for place of purchas would also be very welcome.

Last edited by Jolly_Green_Giant; 06-25-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For all the reasons you just listed, I'm partial to the Toyo's also. I love the way the BFG's and M/T's look, but the price isn't worth it.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Got my 315/70-17's=34.4" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs which seem to be right between an all terrain and mud terrain for $225 a tire. There great on the road and the mud

Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM
If you are looking to keep the ATs on the truck (which, why wouldn't you? They've done everything you've asked of them, and more!), I think the Toyos, Nitto Terra Grapplers and new Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac are probably the best choices out there in that area.

Also, unless you are prepared to deal with more rubbing and less power due to the tires' taller diameter and the gear ratio changes that come with that I would stick with the size you've been using.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 PM
That was kinda what I was thinking. Went ahead and ordered some just like what I have. The really only complaint I have with the current size is I got some premature wear in the center of the tread due to the size of tire vs. wheel size.
I was blown away with thier performance on snow and ice last winter. Made my old BFG TA/KO's look like slicks. lol

Old 06-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Wait, JGG, your 325s on 7.5" stock wheels don't rub without a spacer of some sort? I would thing stepping down to a slightly narrower tire (305) would be smarter as you seem to have sort of mentioned..

Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by yetti96
Wait, JGG, your 325s on 7.5" stock wheels don't rub without a spacer of some sort? I would thing stepping down to a slightly narrower tire (305) would be smarter as you seem to have sort of mentioned..
Have a little bit of a arm rub at full lock. But other than that no clearance issues at all and full flex with no contact.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyo Open Country MTs that I have are sized 34/11.50 R17s with AMP Bitterroots with 4.5 BS. There is no rubbing with a 2" leveling kit. If you really want them go for it. You won't be questing your decision later.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want Toyo M/Ts for a more reasonable price, Cooper Discoverer STT. Otherwise I would get the Toyo A/T again but in a thinner width ( 305 like suggested ) or look into the Goodyear Duratrac's

Quick Reply: Suggestions wanted for tire selection