Spare tire lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire lock

For some reason, I have a lock system for my spare tire that is in the tube. Is there a Ford attachment that fits the end of the crank handle to access this lock..

It looks like a smaller version of what goes on the rims. My truck didn't come with such a thing.

Any ideas...?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Definitely there should be a piece that goes on the end of your crank. Check your glove box and door pockets. Mine was in a little black plastic pouch. Not sure how you would get it down otherwise. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Bottom line. $20.00 or a hammer! I had this problem also. I needed to get mine down to switch an original size spare to my new larger size and wanted to swap it but couldn't get it down. I went to my local Ford dealer and they showed me about eight different sizes of short maybe three inch adapters that go onto the end of the handle and into the tube. A guy there in the service dept. tried them until he found the right one that was for my lock. He got my tire down and I threw it in the bed. He wound the cable and tire holder back up to the the top for me. He said it was twenty dollars for the lock and gave me an address to order one if I wanted to get one. I didn't. lol I did however go on here and found out that with the tire out of the way it is extremely easy to knock off the lock on the end of the tube. Two whacks and it was off. Once it is off you can use only the handle and it works just fine with no adapter key needed. You won't have a lock but you don't have to keep up with it and it will save you twenty bucks for something rather silly. It is really hard to get to however with the tire in the way but I read it is possible.

Quick Reply: Spare tire lock