Need a true mud tire...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a true mud tire...

Hey fellas, I'm having a hard time determining what tire is for me. I'd like to start swimming/swamping and playing in that peanut butter/gumbo mud but since I've been looking at truck mud tires, I noticed pretty much all but tractor tires, have closely spaced shallow lugs w/o a "mud channeling" pattern.

I've thought about getting SS boggers and cutting every other short lug (or all) to help in cleaning but I think I might be missing something here with truck mudding tires vs the mud tire on my quads lol. I know different world but in terms of mudding, it's quite relative.

I'd like a paddle tire, maybe a decent mix of a digger but with pressure can be a good floater (for the PB mud) Need side lugs for getting out them ruts and when I hit the rocky trails. I could care less about noise and unless it's screw loosening type vibrations, I'm not too picky about that either -I'm used to noisy uncomfortable vehicles lol.

Can you all set me straight?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Boggers are the best mud tire available, but I would never put them on a daily driver.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Boggers are gonna be your best bet.

they will dig if you dont have the power to spin them (this is where gearin wont cut it) you need motor and gearing to make this tire perform like it should.

another option is Denman Ground Hawgs thats what im running and i believe they are a good cross between a Bogger and TSL.

what vehicle do you plan on running these tires on? and what are the specs of said vehicle, what size tires and so forth.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 PM
I should have added, if this is your daily driver, even an extremely aggressive MT would be a much better choice than the bias ply Boggers. Super Swamper makes some really gnarly radials like the IROK Radial and the SSR.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I have two friends that are daily drivers just around country roads and what not and decided to go with some super swampers and they work awesome in the mud.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Sorry for the long wait in reply fellas. To reply and answer some of your questions:

The truck is an '01 F-250 (just bought it) with only a simple Banks exhaust/intake that came with the truck, so not much there. Honestly I planned on taking care of the suspension, possibly gearing and checking/redoing the tune (or getting one if it hasn't been done yet. I'll play the power game as I make more money this year and into the winter; winter is where I make most of my $ from plowing being that the cost to me is so little vs my landscaping co where I have to shell out alot of money initially for material (then try and collect) and to my guys and their insurance lol.

As far as size...I haven't figured that out yet. I mean I use 28-32's on my quad (depending on the ride) so I would atleast like 36's, maybe 33's if their good.

As far as it being my everyday driver, the more I think about it the more you guys are right about the tire selection. I think what I need to do is get an aggressive mud tire and try it out, see how it handles what I do and if not, I'll grab some extra rims and put some boggers on that for playtime. Which leads me to tire choice.

Ive looked at the Irok/LTB and Ground Hawgs. So far I'm liking the GH alot as they have great lug separation and a nice sweeping channel for the muck.

What do you guys think?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Out of those, I'd go with the IROK radial.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Denman Ground hawgs...

gonna be the best in them Mud. I ran a set of Iroks in mud and didnt care for them, decent all around trail tire but didnt pull enough for me. Only ran them at one meet, to see if they were gonna work for me didnt care much at all for them in mud.

rode good on the road. Ive also ran Baja Claws, maxxis buckshots, Super Swamper TSL's, BFG's, and one set of boggers.

Really enjoying the Hawgs right now, these things wear like IRON and are Bias Ply.

heres pictures of mine 17x40-16.5 Denman Ground Hawgs 50% tread left

and heres a true mud tire haha, this is what mine will look like after im done drivin it on the road

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 07-19-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Denman Ground hawgs...

gonna be the best in them Mud. I ran a set of Iroks in mud and didnt care for them, decent all around trail tire but didnt pull enough for me. Only ran them at one meet, to see if they were gonna work for me didnt care much at all for them in mud.

rode good on the road. Ive also ran Baja Claws, maxxis buckshots, Super Swamper TSL's, BFG's, and one set of boggers.

Really enjoying the Hawgs right now, these things wear like IRON and are Bias Ply.

and heres a true mud tire haha, this is what mine will look like after im done drivin it on the road
I really like the pattern of the Hawgs, not feeling the center lugs for mudding BUT to get to the mud and over all driving it's what a guy needs. They do look a bit shallow in lug depth even at 50% wear; I'll have to check the lug depth on their site. Hey judging by the pattern and what you say, I think I'll settle on these. I'd like to see a few in person as well too before a purchase. But so far, those are the ones

Now for your second pic, THAT is exactly what I'm looking (but a bit smaller) for my off roading, minus the lack of side lugs. Most tractor tires I've seen are extremely narrow and or an "extreme" crush lock type tire which I want more of a floater vs a digger since I ride bottomless alot. I really really like those man, can you hook me up with the details and where you got them?

Hell they look like a cross of the highlifter outlaws and my silverbacks for my quad haha. Love those. Never understood why they don't make serious mud tires similar to ATV mud tires, love to get a pair with the lugs wrapping around down to the rim. Can you tell me a bit about them in your mudding excursions or do you have any videos ?

Wandell: What I'd like to do is compare the Iroks to the Hawgs in person and go from there so I really appreciate helping me narrow it down brother!! Big thumbs up.

You guys have suggestions on what size I should get according to my vehicle capability?

Last edited by RoushafiedCobra; 07-20-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
hey man, the truck on cleats isnt mine i really have no clue what they are. Id look into Firestone R1's or R2's. The 1 ton axles under your truck wont handle tires like those. You need to upgrade to 2.5 Ton Rockwells or 5 Ton Rockwells.

But anyway, my hawgs are alittle bit more worn down on the edges that you can see in pictures cause the guy i bought them from kinda let them feather out. But really the tread depth on these are comparable to the Boggers, really deep tread.

If you are just gonna leave the truck stock or just a leveling kit id suggest
12-16.5LT they are 33x12r16.5 mount them on your stock wheels or even an aftermarket 16.5x10

If you are gonna lift the truck decide how much lift you want, I think a 6" lift and some 14/35-16.5LT on a 16.5x10 wheel would look great. Or even a 36x14.5r16.5 on the same wheel.

now if you go 8" of more your gonna want to look for some 38x15.5r16.5

now most of sizes ive listed are bias ply. But with Denman Ground Hawgs im getting better reviews out of the bias ply VS the radial.

i think a 6" lift and the 36x14.5x16.5 radials would look sweet!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
hey man, the truck on cleats isnt mine i really have no clue what they are. Id look into Firestone R1's or R2's. The 1 ton axles under your truck wont handle tires like those. You need to upgrade to 2.5 Ton Rockwells or 5 Ton Rockwells.

But anyway, my hawgs are alittle bit more worn down on the edges that you can see in pictures cause the guy i bought them from kinda let them feather out. But really the tread depth on these are comparable to the Boggers, really deep tread.

If you are just gonna leave the truck stock or just a leveling kit id suggest
12-16.5LT they are 33x12r16.5 mount them on your stock wheels or even an aftermarket 16.5x10

If you are gonna lift the truck decide how much lift you want, I think a 6" lift and some 14/35-16.5LT on a 16.5x10 wheel would look great. Or even a 36x14.5r16.5 on the same wheel.

now if you go 8" of more your gonna want to look for some 38x15.5r16.5

now most of sizes ive listed are bias ply. But with Denman Ground Hawgs im getting better reviews out of the bias ply VS the radial.

i think a 6" lift and the 36x14.5x16.5 radials would look sweet!!!
Then thats what it is brother I was thinking the same as you posted so, time to see what kind of $ I'm looking at and hopefully have these on in the next 2 weeks unless the tires are in stock sooner.

I really appreciate the help fellas and especially you 4.2trimble for the pics and sizes. I'll look into those R series. Im very glad to hear that they are deep.

Thanks again dudes

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah man no problem.

let me know if you have any problems

Old 07-25-2009, 12:58 PM
those big tractor tires are rice and canes and look really similar to some atv mud and swamp tires. not alot of side bite but who really cares lol those things are awesome in mud. lol

Old 07-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Brads984x4
those big tractor tires are rice and canes and look really similar to some atv mud and swamp tires. not alot of side bite but who really cares lol those things are awesome in mud. lol
Yeah I bet they are, they look good. Imma definitely grab a pair. As far as the side lug, to me a good side lug is what makes a really good mud tire- it directs mud away from the center tread alot further (as long as the tread pattern is consistant) provides more bite and if your climbing out of deep ruts, it can make the difference in getting stuck or getting out. In thicker mud, it also clears a wider path for the rear aiding in traction I've noticed. Now if your mud racing in a hard bottomed watery pit, then I can see where side lugs wouldn't matter as much. Helps really well on the rocks too, course I'd use a different tire for that probably lol.

Quick Reply: Need a true mud tire...