Deciding on a tire, torn between two!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding on a tire, torn between two!

They are:
*Toyo Open Country M/T
*Pro Comp Xtreme A/T

Both offer an aggressive look and will work nicely on the road as well. So which one would you prefer and why? Please elaborate on why you would get tire X over tire Y. Thanks guys/gals!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the Toyo Open Country MTs. Very quiet for an MT, long lasting tire compound, "E" load rating, and good all weather characteristics. That's my view...

Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Have you considered the KM2's? If not, I would highly suggest/recommend them. I have about 6K on my 35's and don't have a single complaint. They're not loud by any means nor are they a pest on the highway. I run 75-80 on the interstate a few times a week and personally they feel like any A/T I've ever owned. Not to mention for the most part they're cheaper than the Toyo's, but I'm not sure about the PC's.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by 06hdfxst
Have you considered the KM2's? If not, I would highly suggest/recommend them. I have about 6K on my 35's and don't have a single complaint. They're not loud by any means nor are they a pest on the highway. I run 75-80 on the interstate a few times a week and personally they feel like any A/T I've ever owned. Not to mention for the most part they're cheaper than the Toyo's, but I'm not sure about the PC's.
I had a really bad experience with BFG's once and have only ran Goodyear's since that incident. Probably just a freak thing but I'm not confortable with them. I don't think I could ever run BFG's on a vehicle I own again. Just a personal comfort zone thing I guess. Thanks for the input though.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I am definately going to get the procomp extreme a/t they have a 40,000 mile warranty, not sure what the toyos are getting but in my research the procomp are the cheaper of the 2. Imo just a better deal, but looks also play a huge factor as well. Just so happens I only need an all terrain tire and the extreme a/t is the best looking one I have found. It just looks like what an a/t tire should look like.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Justin_w32
I am definately going to get the procomp extreme a/t they have a 40,000 mile warranty, not sure what the toyos are getting but in my research the procomp are the cheaper of the 2. Imo just a better deal, but looks also play a huge factor as well. Just so happens I only need an all terrain tire and the extreme a/t is the best looking one I have found. It just looks like what an a/t tire should look like.
You're definitely right, they're probably the best looking A/T I've ever seen. Heck they look more like an M/T. And the cost is about a difference of $45 per tire.

So by my simple calculations I now have

Toyo - +1
PC - +1
Other - +1

Anyone else care to chime in?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
I vote for the Toyo MT's thats what I would get if I was looking at mud tires, they look like an awesome tire but a little expensive.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Toyo mts, I loved mine!! Great tires in everything from snow to rain to highway.

If you do a search on procomps you will read of numerous tire failures complaints, especially on the highway. I found pics and all when I was looking for them originally, steered me right towards the toyos and glad it did.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyo open countrys are sick!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by aPINCHbetter90
I vote for the Toyo MT's thats what I would get if I was looking at mud tires, they look like an awesome tire but a little expensive.
How do you like you Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs? This is another tire I'm considering. Not really looking to go mudding, just some light to moderate trails, the most important factor for me is on-road performance. Of the two listed above I've heard great things about both. Also I'm a huge fan of Goodyear Wrangler tires. My last 5 sets of tires has been Goodyear Wranglers. I was checking them out this morning. The only down side about the Goodyears is that they have a more limited selection of off-road tire sizes, but they do offer my size so no big deal. The size I found is a LT325/60R20 which has an overall diameter of 35.4" compared to the Toyo's that are 35" and the Pro Comps that are 34.6", making the Goodyear the tallest of the bunch. They are more expensive than the Pro Comps and less expensive than the Toyo's. So I guess I'll add them to my "consideration list" if you would recommend them.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by SFssft1911
How do you like you Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs? This is another tire I'm considering. Not really looking to go mudding, just some light to moderate trails, the most important factor for me is on-road performance. Of the two listed above I've heard great things about both. Also I'm a huge fan of Goodyear Wrangler tires. My last 5 sets of tires has been Goodyear Wranglers. I was checking them out this morning. The only down side about the Goodyears is that they have a more limited selection of off-road tire sizes, but they do offer my size so no big deal. The size I found is a LT325/60R20 which has an overall diameter of 35.4" compared to the Toyo's that are 35" and the Pro Comps that are 34.6", making the Goodyear the tallest of the bunch. They are more expensive than the Pro Comps and less expensive than the Toyo's. So I guess I'll add them to my "consideration list" if you would recommend them.
im debatiing between the duratracs and the extreme a/t as well. however i do do a fair amount of offroading when during hunting season, specifically mud. which tire do yall think would perform better off road?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor
The Toyo M/T is the way to go!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I do alot of driving on the highway and my old ford has always had Toyo tires.. When I got my 03 FX 4 I went and bought Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires , the ride is alot quieter than the toyo's but after about 10,000 miles they don't seem to be holding up as well.. I would say go with Toyo..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all input! I think based on the consensus the Toyo's are the way to go. However based on my local shop's recommendation of the Mickey Thompson MTZ I'm now torn yet again. My shop says they out performe the Toyo's in every way and are cheaper so I don't know. However, it could be a sales gimmick even though they're cheaper the shop may have a larger profit margin on them comparred to the Toyo's. Any comments on this?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Sorry I have been gone, but I love the duratracs so far, Im waiting to test them in the snow and ice but on the road and in the mud I have had absolutely no regrets with getting them there an awesome tire. I would definitely take them into consideration since your between an all terrain and mud terrain and I would say these goodyears are just that.

Quick Reply: Deciding on a tire, torn between two!