Brakes that work w/o breaking the bank account

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes that work w/o breaking the bank account

Does anybody have experience with improving the brakes on say a 2005 F150? Mine are stock (except previous owner put some pads on from some discount shop) and they are weak on initial bite and worse after the fact. I’m considering the following:
• Brembo iron drilled rotors
• Stainless steel braided lines
• An aggressive pad…which TBD

I don’t want to buy larger rotors and new calipers due to expense. The above has worked on several sports cars but I’m at a loss for a good pad, and one that is friction based vs. adhesion since I have no experience with pick-ups, this being the first one I’ve owned in 35 years. (I started running friction based pads such as Pagids because previously under heavy use, the adhesion type such as Porterfields would build up on the rotor and make it act exactly like the rotors were warped. In a heavy vehicle such as an F150, a friction based seems doubly important.)

Any knowledgeable input appreciated.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Unless you are doing heavy towing, racing or mountain driving, a good set of semi-metallics are all you need. I have had great success with Wagner ThermoQuiets.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Ditto... I put the Wagner ThermoQuiets on the fronts 2 weeks ago and they are very nice.

The braided lines are probably worth it for the money. The new rotors won't really help much, unless your current ones are worn out.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Perf -

Please give me a call and I'll help tune you to your envirionment and needs. Hawk LTS and PowerSlot is the way to go IMO.

Call me..

Last edited by Damon@tirerack; 07-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes that work w/o breaking the bank account