Tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire question...

This isn't the typical "will it fit", or "what should I get" tire thread. I need to know if changing tires will affect my truck since it is a 4wd. I am currently running near worn out set of nitto terra grapplers in 305/55/20 on all 4 corners. Frankly, this tire is too much for my needs. Its too big, too heavy, and its beating the hell out of my wallet with gas. I have decided I am going to give the Copper zeon ltz a try. I want to drop back down to a 275/60/20. I want to keep the height of the nittos, but shrink the width. Would putting 2 new coopers on one axle and keeping the nittos on the other affect daily driving for about a month? Like most, the economic crap has hit me too, but need new skins to keep my ride safe. Thanks for any inquiries.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be okay as your original tires are slightly (1/4") larger than the new size. Considering they are worn out, they will be the same size or smaller than the new. Just make sure you put both the new, either front or rear. You should not even have a problem using 4wd with those 2 sizes.

305 = 33.2" diameter
275 = 32.99" diameter

Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks kingfish! I couldn't come up with a scenario that would be detrimental to my driveline with two different sizes on different axles. I was really only worried about my transfer case.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
the 55 series is shorter/nearly the same height as the 60 series, so if you want shorter tires then I dont understand why you want the taller middle number, you want a lower middle number, like 50 for example.. Are they not available in that size or something?
Plus the two sizes you are talking about and the two tires, terras/ltzs are pretty close in size, tire type, agressision and weight.
So your really giving up a wider, shorter aggressive a/t for a slightly narrower, same height or larger aggressive a/t. All the reviews I've read on the ltz's are very good but point to the fact that in person/driving they are more aggressive then the nittos you already have.
I mean in essence your comparing oranges to oranges...

Now if you were talking going from the nitto terras to a lower profile street tire then maybe you would be comparing something of two different examples.

If you think the nitto is too big, too heavy, too agressive, then looking at the ltz in a very close size is not the right choice, its basically the same, minus alittle in width.
You see the first number the width might be alot smaller, but because the middle number, the height is greater they end up equaling out to almost the same size, I mean the heights are so close you honestly would not be able to tell with your eye, especially if you nittos are worn out, the new tire might be taller then them because of the new tread.
I'm getting the idea you aren't sure of what you want..
Cooper makes the h/t tire which is an all season/street tire in plenty of 20" sizes and that is much less aggressive with very high ratings, maybe that is where you should look. If you still want an aggressive bigger all terrain, go with the ltz's.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Maxout, I want to keep the height of my tires, but lose some width, therefore rolling resistance. I want an all terrain tire, but not lose my mind with a loud aggressive tire. The zeon ltz seems like it would fit the bill precisely. Just enough to pull off the road and perform, but yet not too crazy for everyday use. Also, I want to drop from 10 ply to something less. The weight of the tires hinder performance as well. I don't need the load handling of that much tire. The heaviest thing I'll ever tow\haul is maybe a four wheeler or a sun and ski boat.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what you stated, "I am currently running near worn out set of nitto terra grapplers in 305/55/20 on all 4 corners." I don't see a reason to keep old tires on two wheels and new tires on the other two. Also, just because the tires are close to the same size doesn't mean it's good thing for your truck. Save up some money and replace all of them at once. You will not have issues when rotating them in the future...

Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I plan on having the all four tires replaced within 30 days, so no need to worry about rotation issues. Just a good bit of jingle to drop at once when you are trying to fund weddin related events.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by vtelvr
Maxout, I want to keep the height of my tires, but lose some width, therefore rolling resistance. I want an all terrain tire, but not lose my mind with a loud aggressive tire. The zeon ltz seems like it would fit the bill precisely. Just enough to pull off the road and perform, but yet not too crazy for everyday use. Also, I want to drop from 10 ply to something less. The weight of the tires hinder performance as well. I don't need the load handling of that much tire. The heaviest thing I'll ever tow\haul is maybe a four wheeler or a sun and ski boat.
Oh, sorry I gotcha, lol!
Honestly the cooper ltz looks like an awsome tire. They have very good reviews and are well priced. I just bought some nitto terra grapplers for my truck. I wanted the cooper ltz but they didnt make them in the size I needed.. still bummed on that.
Definitely get all four at once.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
Oh, sorry I gotcha, lol!
Honestly the cooper ltz looks like an awsome tire. They have very good reviews and are well priced. I just bought some nitto terra grapplers for my truck. I wanted the cooper ltz but they didnt make them in the size I needed.. still bummed on that.
Definitely get all four at once.
Yeah, I was a bit hesitant of getting the ltz's by just looking at pictures. I saw them the other day on another vehicle, and decided that was my next tire. I was really thinking that it would look like a street tire too much, but after seeing them in person, they actually *look* really agressive, but aren't. Also, I am looking at saving a solid $100 per tire going from the 305/55/20 to a 275/60/20.

Quick Reply: Tire question...