Toyo M/T or Nitto TG? Drive a ton!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo M/T or Nitto TG? Drive a ton!

Hi there,

I am stuck between the sweet look of the Toyo O/C MT's and the low price of the Nitto TG's. I drive all day for work from house to house and want a tire that will last a good amount of miles.

Please help me choose between the two. I will be getting a 33" tire in either one. The Nittos are about $100 less a tire.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I have the Nitto's & I hate them. Don't get me wrong, if you put them in the mud they will eat!!!! Although driving around all day they are incredibly loud. I am actually looking at getting the Toyo's now. Hope that helps.

Cancel my last. My bad I thought you were talking about the Mud Grapplers

Last edited by dmjackson76; 07-24-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by dmjackson76
I have the Nitto's & I hate them. Don't get me wrong, if you put them in the mud they will eat!!!! Although driving around all day they are incredibly loud. I am actually looking at getting the Toyo's now. Hope that helps.

Cancel my last. My bad I thought you were talking about the Mud Grapplers
Just to clear up any misunderstanding he is asking about Nitto Terra Grapplers not Mud Grapplers.

Personally I like the Toyo's better and they will give you great miles for a MT, but millage is a sacrifice your going to have to make with a MT.

If I had to pick, regardless of mileage and wear I would get the Toyo's

Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 AM
How many miles do you think I would get out of the Toyo's vs. the Nitto's? That would probably be my main factor.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I just got my set of TGs and for the price I cant complain. My truck spends most of its time on the road so I didnt nead something too meaty. I think they look pretty good for an AT tire. I like the BFGs, but for $100 more a tire, I dont think so.

If you have the money the Im sure you will be happy with the MT, but just remember they will probably wear more quickly and be alot more noisy.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
As far as the Nitto's go I have mixed mileage thoughts. Some people swear by them and claim they last a long time others hate them and say they wear too quick. If you deal with snow I heard they do not do well there.

I would think with proper rotation you could get a least 50k out of the Toyo's maybe even more.

Wish I could help more, hopefully some members can post some actual numbers.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I personally like the Mickey Thompson MTZ tires. They have a higher consumer review rating than either of the tires you've listed and are on par with the Toyo's quietness, tread life, and handling on the road. These have been recommended over the Toyo's by four different off-road shops. Two shops in North Georgia and two in Eastern North Carolina (both areas offer a completely different range of on/off road elements). They are slightly cheaper than the Toyo's but not by much. If you're dead set on the Toyo's or the Nitto's I'd go for the Toyo's. Here's a link for a look at the tire http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...=BajaMTZRadial also consider doing some research and reading some consumer reviews on www.offroaders.com . Good luck with the decision.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I had the toyos and loved them, but gas mileage was horrible with them, lost about 4mpg. Just bought the nitto terras and we will see if that goes up again.
The toyos last a long time with good rotation. Personally though for what you need your truck for I would not get any mud terrain, stick to an all terrain. The toyos are very good tires, but they are an m/t and they will get louder and louder as they wear, and they do not ride as good as most a/ts.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I would get the toyo's. I Have the TG's there a good tire, but overall I like the look of the toyo's better.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
I had the toyos and loved them, but gas mileage was horrible with them, lost about 4mpg. Just bought the nitto terras and we will see if that goes up again.
The toyos last a long time with good rotation. Personally though for what you need your truck for I would not get any mud terrain, stick to an all terrain. The toyos are very good tires, but they are an m/t and they will get louder and louder as they wear, and they do not ride as good as most a/ts.
Good call on gas mileage the Toyo's are not lite.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by IORf150
I would get the toyo's. I Have the TG's there a good tire, but overall I like the look of the toyo's better.
I agree the toyos look better, but like posted above they are very very heavy tires and lose alot of power/mpg without truck mods, like gearing, tuning etc.

Just giving my input after two years with them on my truck.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyo mt's look really good, but I've had my nitto terra grapplers on for over two years now and I love them. I deal with snow and ice here every year and they get through it quite well. If you do a lot of driving then i'd say nittos, if its more off-roading than the mt's.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I beg to differ with the statement that TOYOs get louder over time. Mine are extremely quiet for MTs. They are extremely grippy on wet and snow covered roads along with ice, do to the deep sipping. I will replace them again when I need them, after all I did not buy a truck for milage...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Those of you with Toyo M/T, what are your tires inflated at and how often do you rotate them?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
10,000 miles or so I rotated them once. And no matter what you say they got louder for me so disagree all you want. It wasn't excessive at all though.

Quick Reply: Toyo M/T or Nitto TG? Drive a ton!