Rear Brake Rotor Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Brake Rotor Change

I tried searching and found a few threads on the front pads and rotors, but I need to change out my drivers side rear rotor. I had metal to metal from the old pads and the rotor is all sorts of messed up. If anyone could give a little right up on this that would be awesome. Right now im running brand new pads on the crap rotor and i know thats not good. Thanks for anything

Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Bump. Has anyone changed their rotors. ANY help, hints.... Maybe it would be best to get a haynes manual???

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haynes are good... otherwise i thought i saw a writeup in the how to section of the forums... might be a good place to look, though I'm sure being a senior member you have probably already looked.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
never owned a vehicle without the factory service manual. it's worth its weight in gold, although admittedly the price of admission is getting seriously out of hand lately.

Most of the times it's a couple of caliper bolts and if you have to, back off the parking brake drum shoes. If it's only one side you should seriously look at replacing/rebuilding that caliper too.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
not sure this really helps you but im looking into the APracing products from stillen. they have rear replacement rotors that are drilled and slotted.

http://www.stillen.com/browse.asp?c=...D&model=PICKUP

good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Well thanks for the replies. I finally went and bought the Haynes Manual. Just a small $25 . It definitly seems to be worth it. I found out how to remove the rotor, and it seems like its gonna only be a few bolts so we shall see what happens. Thanks for the link WhiteRoush3 but i think im gonna just go with some from Advance Auto, it'll be alittle cheaper. Thanks again everybody. I'll let yall know when i get it done. Just gotta go get a rotor.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 AM
good choice not getting the drilled and slotted.... nothing against those that opt for it.. but drilled rotors are prone to cracking, and slotted rotors are overkill in 99% of daily driving applications. all it does it lighten your wallet a little more.

as far as your rotor swap, i take it the caliper on that wheel has been off recently if your running new pads on a crap rotor...

so the caliper should come off easy.

in my experience the rear rotors dont come off as easy as the fronts... dont know why lol.

but a pry bar placed in some well planned places (dont bend anything you dont have too... dust shield doesnt matter, it can be bent back easily, but dont bend something thats gonna break.... and maybe a hammer to hammer the old one off......

if you have a caliper piston compression tool by any chance, you can wedge it between the rotor and the caliper mount and use that to pry the rotor off...

but your trucks pretty new so you might not have any problems at all.

good luck.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:05 PM
im actually at the point where i need all new brakes around. the rotors will need to be replaced bc they cant be resurfaced anymore. im spending the extr $100 and going with drilled slot rotors for extra braking with my big *** tires and wheels as well as keeping the brakes cooler

Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 PM
WELL Im at a speedbump. The rotor wont budge. Ive been hitting it with a mallet for the past 3 hrs. Sooooo. A buddy of mine said to hit the lugs with some PB blaster so im probably gonna go get a can tommorrow. That thing is on there Tight

Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

do these trucks have the parking brake mechanism similar to a drum brake in the back? if so maybe you need to take a look at that...

Not sure, but on some trucks there is a drum type mechanism that works the parking brake.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Nettershakes
WELL Im at a speedbump. The rotor wont budge. Ive been hitting it with a mallet for the past 3 hrs. Sooooo. A buddy of mine said to hit the lugs with some PB blaster so im probably gonna go get a can tommorrow. That thing is on there Tight
For future reference, the rotor is not stuck on the lugs. It's stuck on the axle hub. Take the caliper off, then drive the rotor off using to bolts and 4 nuts. There are videos on it.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Rotor Change