Question on 285's on my 06 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok ill chime in, I also have an 06 4x4 5.4 with 3.55 gears. Mine was stock with the 255 ameritracs, i agree they sucked but I did get 50k outta mine and still had life! I replaced the with 285/70/17 Mickey thompson ATZ tires, if your scared of the prices youve been looking at, dont look at them LOL! Honestly, I like them, They do ride stiffer (8 ply) I miss the stock ride, They DID take away power, i will not lie. Mine wiegh in at about 60# each. I have the Edge tuner so the power was regainable, but for kicks of it i turned it off one day to see just how much power I had lost, and really it wasnt too bad. But you WILL notice a difference. MPG's didnt go down but maybe .5-1 MPG at best. I tow alot also, and really you wouldnt believe the difference in towing with a stiffer tire, WOW so much better! I would not hesitate buying this size again, they look great, fill out the fenders well, it just looks more like a truck with that size. Id say go for it, I too was concerned about the power loss, but have quickly got adjusted to it. Its not that huge of a change!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by raptorman01
Ok ill chime in, I also have an 06 4x4 5.4 with 3.55 gears. Mine was stock with the 255 ameritracs, i agree they sucked but I did get 50k outta mine and still had life! I replaced the with 285/70/17 Mickey thompson ATZ tires, if your scared of the prices youve been looking at, dont look at them LOL! Honestly, I like them, They do ride stiffer (8 ply) I miss the stock ride, They DID take away power, i will not lie. Mine wiegh in at about 60# each. I have the Edge tuner so the power was regainable, but for kicks of it i turned it off one day to see just how much power I had lost, and really it wasnt too bad. But you WILL notice a difference. MPG's didnt go down but maybe .5-1 MPG at best. I tow alot also, and really you wouldnt believe the difference in towing with a stiffer tire, WOW so much better! I would not hesitate buying this size again, they look great, fill out the fenders well, it just looks more like a truck with that size. Id say go for it, I too was concerned about the power loss, but have quickly got adjusted to it. Its not that huge of a change!
Thats the review type that I was looking for! Someone with the same truck!

I am going to go with an LT tire. Whether its 6 ply or 8 ply is to be determined, mainly by size. Good to know that it wasn't that bad. I don't tow a lot, once a week really, but when I tow I want it to be there, which it is now. I think the tires I'm looking at are 56-57 lbs so a bit lighter then yours.

The edge allows you to change the speedo calibration too right? I likely won't have that done or buy an edge as I'm a sissy when it comes to the warranty thing...60k left so I don't want to screw it up!

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Raptorman01, how do you like the Mickey Thompson ATZ tires? That is the tire I have been looking at getting. How do they perform, street, dirt, ect? Any photos of your truck?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I do love them, they ride stiff but perform real well! I havent had them offroad or in the snow, ive only had them about 2 months now. They do excellent in the rain and dry. Quiet smooth ride, no shaking or noise at all. I posted a thread here with pics. here you go click here.. https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...tz-2-pics.html

Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Raptorman01:

Thanks for the link. As I said in that thread I completely didn't check back after I asked you the question. Thanks for the link. Truck looks great. I have yet to decide, but will shortly, leveling kit came today.

Ordered the 1.5" AS kit, unfinished as my Dad works at a huge powder coating facility. Should be done Monday/Tuesday....Just a couple weeks and I'll be ready to go!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
The BFG TA/KO is hard to beat for long mileage but they ain't cheap! A 285x70x17 would look great. Toyo, Nitto, MT and Pro Comp have nice AT's also.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
The BFG TA/KO is hard to beat for long mileage but they ain't cheap! A 285x70x17 would look great. Toyo, Nitto, MT and Pro Comp have nice AT's also.
I had the BFG's on another truck. I really didn't care for them. Not sure why. Maybe because they were about 60% treadlife left when I bought it so I don't know the entire experience.

I do believe that I've settled on 275's. They are about a half inch less in diameter and not as wide. I've also came to a conclusion (maybe hahaha) that the Firestone Destination AT's might be the tire for me. Buddies have them, and seem to like them.

They'd be a C load 6 ply tire...

What does everyone think? The truck won't be as high as others with the 2"-2.5" leveling kits, so I think it will look just fine...

Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have 285/70/17 bfgoodrich mud terrian km2s on stock XLT rim and i have slight rub at full crank

Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I dont know anything about the destinations, ive never owned them. They look nice IMO. I too was deciding between the MT ATZ's or the BFG's, the reason i didnt go with the BFG's as paw paw said they are very pricey, they do get incredible mileage but they were also 10 ply's in the 285. those would feel like riding on rock tires if you ask me!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by raptorman01
I dont know anything about the destinations, ive never owned them. They look nice IMO. I too was deciding between the MT ATZ's or the BFG's, the reason i didnt go with the BFG's as paw paw said they are very pricey, they do get incredible mileage but they were also 10 ply's in the 285. those would feel like riding on rock tires if you ask me!
I agree. A 10 ply tire would be awefully rough for these trucks. Some of the 285's I've been looking at have been 8 ply which I feel is even over kill.

Pretty sure I'll be going with the firestones, read a lot on them this weekend and made some calls. They come highly recomended even from shops that sell more exp tires etc...Plus I know a few guys who are running them and really like them. I've got a couple weeks yet, but I like to do a ton of reading/info gathering before I go drop a ton of cash!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree, i couldnt imagine having a 10 ply. Ride would suck so bad, well good luck with the firestones, also theres nothing wrong with making absolute sure of what you want before paying for something you dont want, Ive been quilty of that before. I learned since then, i do research on everything now myself.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the ride is not as bad as yall think. and i got mine for $245 ea.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
$245.00 each isn't that bad for what you got.

But thats WAY to aggressive for me. I had mud tires once and for how much highway winter driving I do...Never again! Plus...My truck never 'plays' in the mud, it'd just be another street queen with mud tires that see's itself 'offroad' in nothing deeper then 6"...unless its snow...

Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the 275's would be the best compromise all around and probably what I would do too... You'll like the LT C rated tire I think. I did when I got mine. Actually, I've got a 265/75/16, but they are the same height as a 265/70/17 when it's all said and done... I run them at about 42 psi up front and 40 psi in the rear for everyday driving and they seem fine. I'll bump 'em to 50 when I tow the TT in my sig.

Mine replaced the little 235/70/16 rubber bands that came with the truck. I noticed a difference in how the truck drove coming out of the tire stores parking lot! I've got a '97 F150 with 3.55 gears and the entire shifting pattern had changed, due to the speedo/odo being off. Once I recalibrated, the shifting was better and also going with a K&N drop in and a 3" cat back exhaust seemed to bring the throttle response back.

I didn't lose any mpgs, as I'm still getting the same 15-16 mpg that it got when I first bought the truck some 8 years ago.

This is most recent set of tires.. I got them from a tire chain store that's popular in our region (Les Schwab Tires) and I normally get 65,000 out of a set and replace when they get to about 60% worn too....

Mitch

Quick Reply: Question on 285's on my 06 XLT