spare tire with 35's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spare tire with 35's???

What is everyone doing for a spare tire with larger tires, I am running 35's. Where is everyone mounting a spare and what size? do you need to have the same size tire for a spare??? Will it fit in the stock spare location under the bed????

Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm on 35's and use the stock spare. I have had to use it twice and it was fine.

A couple notes though:

1. If you have rear LSD, you can NOT put a different size tire on each side on the rear. If you get a flat on the rear, you will have to move a front tire to the back and then put the spare on the front.

2. If 4WD, you can not use 4WD with a spare on the front.

I was lucky and both times I have had issues with front tires. No problems at all. You get a few dash lights on with running different size tires, but to drive a few miles here or there until you can get it fixed, no biggie.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found an old 35 a couple of years ago and mounted it on my spare.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by KOOKS
What is everyone doing for a spare tire with larger tires, I am running 35's. Where is everyone mounting a spare and what size? do you need to have the same size tire for a spare??? Will it fit in the stock spare location under the bed????
IMO this is the best way to go for carrying a full size spare tire.

It is called the tiregate. There is NO drilling ANYWHERE on your truck. You can even swing the tire out of the way to gain access to the bed. Check out there website tiregate.com for more info. I absolutely love mine. Oh and that is a 38" tire sitting there. They can hold up a 40.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Da Wolf
IMO this is the best way to go for carrying a full size spare tire.

It is called the tiregate. There is NO drilling ANYWHERE on your truck. You can even swing the tire out of the way to gain access to the bed. Check out there website tiregate.com for more info. I absolutely love mine. Oh and that is a 38" tire sitting there. They can hold up a 40.
I guess if you can afford a tire that big on the truck you can afford another matching tire and wheel and the $800 carrier too. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have one but it just does not rate high on the "needs" list.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately they are expensive. But when one has a flat tire with this size tire; having a full size spare is worth every penny dropped on the carrier, tire, and wheel. Especially if you get a flat on the trail, and can not get a tow truck out there to come and get ya. So, when I was planning my lift, I added this additional cost into my budget. And yes I didn't have to go with matching tire and wheel, but I do show my in truck shows and wanted everything to match.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:41 PM
So, how big of a tire can you fit in the stock mounting location?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Not sure really MAYBE a 33. Several years a ago my spare tire cable rusted and dropped the tire while traveling at 45 mph. So, now there is any empty space where it use to be.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I have a 285 75 16 in the factory spare holder. It is tight with the tow package but if you have a truck without one you might could fit just a tad larger.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
on my last f150 i actually fit a 37 where the spare goes but i had side pipes so there was no exhaust back there

Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I just threw my spare tire in the bed. There is nothing where the spare originally goes on my truck because the original cable thing **** out on me. What a piece of crap. I thought about bolting the spare back to its original place but can't help but think what a pain it would be to get out on the side of the road

Quick Reply: spare tire with 35's???