Hot rotors after 20 minutes of city driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot rotors after 20 minutes of city driving?

A little history first....
I just got done replacing my upper & lower ball joints and tie rod ends on the front end, and to do that we had to remove the brake calipers and hubs. The hubs were really rusted on so we really had to beat on the shafts to get them off.

Everything is now back together and after I drove home from work yesterday (about 20 minutes to drive 8 miles or so) I felt the wheels to make sure I didn't do anything to the bearings. Front rims were warmer than I thought they should be. If I feel the outside of the hub it seemed to feel fine. Calipers were about the same temp as the rims. The rotors however were very hot - couldn't keep my fingers on them longer than a second. I checked things again this morning, being careful not to ride the brakes or anything and same results. I tow a 6000 lb camper and have felt rims all around after a couple hundred miles before doing all this and I don't remember the rims feeling this warm. Both front tires seem to be around the same temp.

Is this normal and I just didn't notice it before? Could I have put the calipers back on incorrectly somehow? We slid both rotors off too, but don't see how I could have put those back on incorrectly. I'll have to check tonight if the front brakes are dragging or something.

Last edited by mitchy; 08-20-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by mitchy
A little history first....
I just got done replacing my upper & lower ball joints and tie rod ends on the front end, and to do that we had to remove the brake calipers and hubs. The hubs were really rusted on so we really had to beat on the shafts to get them off.

Everything is now back together and after I drove home from work yesterday (about 20 minutes to drive 8 miles or so) I felt the wheels to make sure I didn't do anything to the bearings. Front rims were warmer than I thought they should be. If I feel the outside of the hub it seemed to feel fine. Calipers were about the same temp as the rims. The rotors however were very hot - couldn't keep my fingers on them longer than a second. I checked things again this morning, being careful not to ride the brakes or anything and same results. I tow a 6000 lb camper and have felt rims all around after a couple hundred miles before doing all this and I don't remember the rims feeling this warm. Both front tires seem to be around the same temp.

Is this normal and I just didn't notice it before? Could I have put the calipers back on incorrectly somehow? We slid both rotors off too, but don't see how I could have put those back on incorrectly. I'll have to check tonight if the front brakes are dragging or something.

It is normal. Friction is what stops you truck.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Ford quality. I've almost lost my truck due to the front brakes dragging and almost catching the tire on fire. My drag and overheat on a regular basis. Every part has been replaced at least twice, and have been done by myself, a private shop and the overpriced dealer.

They still are not fixed.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Hmmm, doesn't sound like a problem to me yet. If you had a caliper dragging it would be hot, smell hot (everywhere), and you woul be getting flutter of fade from the pads. Sounds normal to me.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
From what the OP describes it sounds totally normal.

Quick Reply: Hot rotors after 20 minutes of city driving?