All Season or All Terrain's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Season or All Terrain's

Getting closer on replacing my 20" Scorpian ATR's with an 18" wheel combo. Just waiting for my cover to see if I still need a spacer and determine different tire fitting.

Finally became realistic what I need in a tire, in priority: tread life, tie between wet and snow traction, looks, ice and mud. My truck is going to live 80% on MI paved roads with the rest hunting on two tracks all over the US. Not a trail rider.

My last truck ran Goodyear Wrangler RT/S for 280K miles. Tread life was incredible (around 85K per set and that was not really taking care of them). Problem was they were just okay in snow or heavy rain.

Do I really need an All Terrain tire for likely at a higher cost?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest a quality all terrian tire like the BFG AT KO, Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo AT, Pro Comp Xtreme AT or Mickey Thompson ATZ. As for the Goodyear RT/S, they were far from OK according to every other review I've read. Most people agree that they suck.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks again Wandell, though I agree with the reviews, if you look at the Scorpian ATR review, they are rated one of the highest. Talking first hand with 3 different truck owners of the same tire, they are crap in the snow, ice or heavy rain. I can account for their great dry traction and noise.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you read these forums, you will find a lot more than 3 negative reviews on the ATR's. Most complain about vibration issues. I never knew a radial tire could flatspot untill Ford started using the Scorpian ATR.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me a call if I can help. I'd be happy to get you into a good fitment.

Quick Reply: All Season or All Terrain's