Will Truck Remember the Original TPMS Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Truck Remember the Original TPMS Sensor?

I have had after market wheels on my truck for more than three months with the factory wheels sitting in my garage. I have decided to move the original TPMS sensors onto the new wheels and I have two quick questions.

Will the truck "remember" the sensors after three months or will I have to take it to Ford to have them reprogrammed?

Where is the best place to buy the replacement bands for a 2007?

Thanks,

KR

Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
After 40 views, there are still no replies to this question. Hmmm....

I know someone has removed their factory wheels and put them back at some point. If you have, please let me know if the light goes out after you put the factory wheels back on the truck.

I found replacement bands for $30 a pair on several sites. The tire store wants $40 for theirs, so I may just let them use the ones they carry.

Thanks,

KR-Texas

Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
On the eve of lifting my 08 and looking into the tpms problem, i found this site http://www.revolutionsupply.com/strapkit.aspx
its a kit for all 4 tires, for 60 bucks, 17 to 26 inch rim, i have been debating whether or not to get it, i have been reading both on these forums and even on some mustang and expedition forums about people cheating the system with a pressurized pvc tube but haven't found any long term results posted,
Im going to call around to a few tire shops and see what kind of price they will give me on sensor installation, mount, and balance of new rims and tires or might just bite the bullet and get the band kit and just worry about mount and ballance

Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I got a price of $200 to pull the original sensors out of my factory wheels and put them into my already installed tire/wheel package. This included the new adjustable bands, tpms holders and the labor for breaking down all eight, plus balancing and remounting the four on the truck. Another store wanted $225 and a third one was "about $200" according to the guy on the phone.

I am going to try the PVC trick, since I can probably get the threaded pipe with caps for less than $10 and I will have to spend about $40 to get the sensors out of the old wheels. $50 versus $200 means $150 in my pocket for other things I need on the truck...

I will post a new thread when I get it all done.

KR-Texas

Old 09-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I have the tool to reset my tpms. I bought new sensors for my new wheels b/c I didnt want to deal with switch them back and forth from wheels to wheels. i bought the tool off of ebay for $20 and it came with instructions to program the sensors to the truck tmps. Kill the trick and do it the correct way.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
There is more than one way to turn off the little light on the dash. I check the pressure on my tires on a regular basis, so I do not need a light to tell me when to fill up my tires. Unlike some Explorer drivers, I take care of my vehicles and I can tell they are low just by looking at them. Imagine one of them walking around their car to check to see if anything might be wrong before heading off to work. (Oh look, a low tire...)

I see no need to spend $200 on a government mandated idiot light because Ford and Firestone killed a bunch of people in roll-over accidents. I have tape over the light now, so even spending $50 on a fix is probably too much...

EDIT: I found this quote on the web site below, so maybe we do not have to do anything about the light:

"The 57-page Tread Act Final Rule only requires TPMS be installed and operational on new vehicles. It does NOT require the TPMS system to be functional if the original tires or wheels are replaced. Consequently, if a vehicle has its original tires and/or wheels replaced, there is no requirement to keep or maintain the TPMS system."

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_monitors.htm

KR-Texas

Last edited by KR-Texas; 09-12-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I agree. I hate having government involved in my life because they think they have all the solutions. They just end up costing us a ton of money. I've been checking my tires regularly for 40 years and it doesn't cost me a dime!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Just to close off this thread, I have confirmed the truck does remember the TPMS sensors even after several months.

KR-Texas

Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Just a thought here! I don't have the TPMS on my truck thank goodness! Anyway, since you still have your old wheels/tires what if you just used one as your spare? Would the truck read the TPMS from that and clear the light? Maybe it has to have all four though?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
MDK
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
Just to close off this thread, I have confirmed the truck does remember the TPMS sensors even after several months.

KR-Texas
glad to hear it. I know I was wondering about rotating my tires on my 08 and a lot of people said to buy the tool or Ford should have included it. Well Ford didn't so I called them and asked if I rotated my tires would I need to have the tool. They said no. Just rotated them yesterday and nothing yet...

Either way Ford will do it for free at any of the dealers in my area.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by ab46501
Just a thought here! I don't have the TPMS on my truck thank goodness! Anyway, since you still have your old wheels/tires what if you just used one as your spare? Would the truck read the TPMS from that and clear the light? Maybe it has to have all four though?
I thought about putting them into my spare, but I still would have had to buy the bands for the other three sensors. The computer has to see a pressure signal from all four. I have an FX4, so I do not have the information center which shows which tire is low. I just have the one light on the dash which tells you to check your tires for low pressure.

In case you missed it, here is a thread showing how I did turned it off.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...x-30-pics.html

Quick Reply: Will Truck Remember the Original TPMS Sensor?