New wheels and tires - vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wheels and tires - vibration

I was wondering if any of you who have put on new wheels and tires had notice any vibrations with the new wheels? I just put on a set this past Saturday and I have a vibration that start at about 55MPH and stops at about 70MPH; or it atleast lessens in severity. I put on Nitto NT420S street tires in 305/40/22. I am going this afternoon to maybe have my TPMS swapped over and to get them rebalanced but if it could be something else I don’t want to start a wild goose chase. My fear is that the wider tires up front are causing the vibration because I feel it in the steering wheel but I also feel it in the seat of the truck just as bad. Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure the tires are road force balanced and within specs.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They need to be rebalanced, preferrably road force balanced. The 04-08 f150's are very sensitive to wheel/tire balance.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Wow, for some reason, that sounds expensive. So normal balancing won't work. I guess not every tire shop can do this?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Most nowadays should have the proper equipment. Is it more expensive than a regular balancing, yes, but if there is a problem with the tire, that is the only way to verify it. If a tire is out of round, there is no way a regular balance is going to fix it. The road force balance will not only determine if the tire is within specs, but if the wheel is withing specs.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Good deal. I just talked to a friend who owns a tire shop but doesn’t do RF balancing. She is going to balance them for me and transfer my TPMS to see if that helps; the balancing, not the TPMS. She has agreed to both for 80.00 so I can’t pass it up. I will have her guys check them before removing any weights to see if there is a variance. If there is, it’s probably a couple of ounces. I used to work for Discount Tire and have driven cars with out of balance wheels and I know small differences can cause a noticeable vibration. This is a good couple ounces as it vibrates my coffee mug in my center console. I am wondering if a weight may have come loose. My wife swears she heard something like a rock hit the truck bed when we first drove it after putting them on and one of the wheels has no weights on the inside. I highly doubt it was balanced with just the tire and wheel. As unlikely as that is, I have seen it happen.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
They need to be rebalanced, preferrably road force balanced. The 04-08 f150's are very sensitive to wheel/tire balance.
What causes the added sensitivity? Is it the suspension, front end, etc? You got me curious...

Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
What causes the added sensitivity? Is it the suspension, front end, etc? You got me curious...
All of the above and a stiffer frame which can make the vibrations you do have worse.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue150
Wow, for some reason, that sounds expensive. So normal balancing won't work. I guess not every tire shop can do this?
FWIW mine balanced fine at NTB. I don't know what balancing machine they have.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I called the place where I got my wheels and they said these were supposed to come with hub-centric rings. Now, I know what those are but do you guys have them on your wheels? I know that the wheels are currently not hub-centric. Could this be my problem? If so, am I going to damage them driving for the next two days? They are overngihting them to me.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Those hub rings help to center the rims on the hub. Not having them could be a factor. With 22" maybe even more. You won't damage anything by driving without them for a couple days. I would get them if available.

Get the road force balance as suggested.

It could be a bad tire. Some tires just can't be balance due to hidden defects. I've had a few before. You could try to take them to the place you bought them, and get a different set of tires.

You may get a harsher ride with the 22", it won't feel like stock but they should be able to be balanced.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor
- Good Balance?

- Is a tire out of round?

- Are the lugnuts correct?

- Are the wheels missing centering rings?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM

i was about to say the same thing i wonder if one the lugs are cross threaded, i know that can cause vibration

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
No cross threads. I put them on myself. I will try the centering rings when they come in and get them balanced again. I bought them online so sending them back is a last resort but one I will take if needed.

Thanks for the feedback. You have given me something to work with. I will update this with the resolution when its done.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I just put a set of Toyo proxes s/t 305 35 r24's on my 03 navigator. It had G force BFG"S on it but i wasn't about to spend that much for Tires. The shop i use Road force balances tires and my Navi rides as smooth as a babies butt. And thats at any speed. That kind of balancing makes a big difference....

Quick Reply: New wheels and tires - vibration