annoying squeek

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
annoying squeek

Hi all
I have a squeek that is driving me to drink. I have a 2004 F150 Scab with a 4.6 and 4wd. I have stock tires and rims. Last year, I had my brakes done, replaced pads, rotors and calipers, by a garage that I trusted and used for years. Immediately after the brake job, a squeek started. It shows up after about 1 mile of driving and at speeds above 10 mph. The noise DOES NOT change when you apply the brakes, until you get below 10 mph, where it goes away. I brought it back and after a test drive and running it on the lift, we all concluded it was from the left rear wheel/brake. They replaced the brakes (rotor, caliper, pads) But the squeel is still there. We have tried so many different things, from grinding any lips or ridges on the rotors to swapping left for right, and applying anti-squeel to the pads (permatex), but the noise does not go away. I have taken the truck to 2 other mechanics, one thought it was a pulley the other thought left rear brake. The last mechanic now thinks it may be in the left front wheel and may be a bearing. I always thought that a bad bearing would only get worse if you ignored it and this noise has been fairly consistent. And it does not happen every time I drive.
I have replaced the drive shaft, which was gone, and put in new u-joints (with grease fittings) those are all fine and do not seem to be the problem, although at this point they may be. I am in need of some good solid advice and hope someone here has heard or experienced this and has an answer.
Thanks
If anyone knows of a good Ford mechanic in the Greater Boston area that they can recommend, well I would be grateful.
Mark

Quick Reply: annoying squeek