rear brake things?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear brake things?

has anyone tried to paint them big old cast iron looking things in front of the brake pads? THer on my 2008 f-150 and they look stupidly ugly. you can see them right threw my rims. thinkin bout painting them black, but i dont no exactly what they are and i dont want to mess nuttin up.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 AM
wow... based on your description of things I would probably advise against painting them...

but if you do... they are the caliper housings. You would need to use a high temperature paint (like grill paint) if you paint them, and thoroughly clean them first. And you would have to mask off the areas where the pistons are to keep the paint off the pistons and the seals.

I'd be worried about the paint holding up on them... between the heat and stuff coming off the road it would be a very abusive environment to them. And they aren't new so it would be hard getting paint to stick to them in the first place. I think you would find they quickly peal and look even worse.

(and yes, I know the high-end calipers come painted... but they are chemically cleaned first and then powder-coated in a factory.... much different than painting them in the field)

Old 09-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by boomer1
has anyone tried to paint them big old cast iron looking things in front of the brake pads? THer on my 2008 f-150 and they look stupidly ugly. you can see them right threw my rims. thinkin bout painting them black, but i dont no exactly what they are and i dont want to mess nuttin up.
Scary!!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that was hard to read..emotionally

Quick Reply: rear brake things?