Help to identify front brake area part?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help to identify front brake area part?

Sorry for the vague title. I had occassion to remove the front wheels and while doing an inspection found this metal disc (in BACK of the rotor) that was almost completely rusted away.

I don't believe this is what we call a brake dust shield as it's not between the wheel and rotor, but is at the rear behind the rotor.

The truck is a 1995 F-150 2-wheel drive in-line 6. I would guess it's some kind of shield to keep water, dust etc off the inside of the rotor? Or maybe it's the actual mount for the rotor etc. ??

The driver's side of this just crumpled off in large pieces as I flexed it.

I'd like to replace them, but don't know what they are called or where to get them. Thanks ..

Old 09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I think they're just called brake shields, and you're right - they're there to keep other "stuff" off the rotor.

They do have a habit of getting bent as well as rusting etc.

Many people just take them off and leave them off.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by rpxr400
I think they're just called brake shields, and you're right - they're there to keep other "stuff" off the rotor.

They do have a habit of getting bent as well as rusting etc.

Many people just take them off and leave them off.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't do any off-road driving and don't drive it much so I guess it would be okay to leave it as is until I can get around to it later. Mostly it's used to haul stuff around when needed.

Bought it used about 8 years ago and it has been wonderfully reliable. Looked like it just came off the showroom floor too. With it's 5 speed stick it gives me pretty decent gas mileage, especially on the highway. I added a nice looking cap which is about the only thing I've had done to it up to recently.

Over the last year however, I've been noticing the beginning of some rust. Around the wheel wells and especially bad all over the frame. Had to replace the rear spring shackles last year as they were completely rusted through.

I guess it's time for me take a good look at it and do some body work.

Thanks again ..

Quick Reply: Help to identify front brake area part?