painted rims yourself

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
painted rims yourself

has anyone painted there rims on there own i am wanting o paint the red on my rims silver to match my paint.. i mean the red breaks everything up but i want it to go wih the trck.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a tech article on how to paint your OEM rims... What rims are looking to paint exactly?

Here is the article... Paint your OEM Rims

Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Here ya go:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...k-warning.html

If you have any questions let me know. If your wheels are chrome they will be harder to do.

edit- 1 minute Shanks....1 minute....

Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
they are my aftermarket ones ballistic jesters black with red trim.. but i want to paint the red a silver.. to match the truck

Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM

It's a great idea and very original, but that looks like it would be a major PITA to do. You'd either have to tape off everything but the red (including surrounding areas) and use a wheel-specific spray paint.....or have a very steady hand with a paint brush.

You're going to have to have a lot of patience regardless of what way you decide to do it. All the masking, careful painting, etc.

Are the red parts part of the wheel itself or does it seem like they are smaller pieces attached to the wheel? If the latter..the only thing I can think of that might save you a major headache would be to contact the wheel supplier. Ask them if they are removable. If so you can do that, paint them, and reattach them with a heavy duty glue. I'd go that route and see if they can be taken off before trying to mask everything.

If they are part of the wheel itself, good luck. It's not fun masking that much area so carefully, let alone four times.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 PM
yeah ive been looking at that for about 2hrs hehe just imaginig all the work its gonna take hehe.. i havebeen trying to contact them to see whats the best way to remove them without damageing the rim...

Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Yeah it's definitely a lot of work, but if you pull it off right will look killer. Will also be one-of-a-kind.

I'd pursue the route of taking them off. Although I thought about that, too (damaging the wheel in the process).

Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
yeah i really want to paint them over pulling them off and leaving it just black.. i like the other color in with it to break it up a little

Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Here ya go:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...k-warning.html

If you have any questions let me know. If your wheels are chrome they will be harder to do.

edit- 1 minute Shanks....1 minute....
haha yeah, took me like 5min to find that article

...but looking at the blown up picture it looks as if they would come off... that would make things 10x easier... but I would be very cautious taking them off..

or you might even talk with the manfu and see if they could send replacement "red pieces" and you could paint those and possibly glue those to the red.. i dunno how or if that would work.. but just another thought

Old 09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
That's the only reason I didn't buy that wheel. I have a blue truck and it just wouldn't look right IMHO. Let us know what you decide to do. Great looking truck!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Aren't those just plastic pieces? If you can't get replacement pieces to put on, and you decide to do this thing, might I suggest one of those plastic model paint sprayers? They're a little tricky to use as far as getting the right amount of paint down, but it'll be a hell of a lot better than if you were to bust out the rattle can from Wal-Mart. Plus, with a little practice (well away from the wheel) you may find that you won't have to mask off as much.
Good luck, and I think the project sounds pretty dang cool!

Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 AM
Those red pieces sure look to be add-on pieces. If not, the manufacturer faces the same problem coloring them as you do changing the color. Doesn't seem cost productive. It will probably be a bear removing them without damage.

I think the wheels looks pretty good. thinking outside the box - have you considered red accents here or there on the body to tie things together? Maybe a small red stripe around the grill opening? Is your interior black? Maybe a touch of red in there somewhere. I think if would be easier and maybe better to judiciously add red accents to the body. Just a thought.

Last edited by oneinch; 09-12-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I looked at those wheels before I bought mine and I thought the red pieces were removable. I know I read it somewhere, but of course, I cannot find the web site now.

I think they would look good silver or just remove them so the wheel is all black.

EDIT: Here is the picture I remembered with little allen head screws holding them on. They must have changed how they are attached on the newer ones.

EDIT: Here is a picture of a truck with the red inserts removed on their own web site:

KR-Texas

Last edited by KR-Texas; 09-12-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 PM
yeah i know but i just htink that with this style and the color of my truck it will look alot better with the red painted silver as soon as i figure out a way that is the easiest to paint hehe

Quick Reply: painted rims yourself