General's retired, XDs and Toyo's now in charge

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Watson91
Thats crazy. I got about that many miles on mine before i switched out and they still look brand new. Barely any tread wear on them, got them sitting in the shop for backups lol.

I love the new tires/wheels though. Looks great! I'm ready to get off these at's and get some bigger mt's.
Lucky, mine were pathetic. Then again I guess it does depend on your area, as I said I have some rough pavement roads ( potholes, oiled with stone rolled down ) and gravel roads here and there. The cinders they lay in winter did the worst though. They're so sharp, can easily cut into tread sipes.

I'm ready to burn mine off But for now I want to enjoy the Toyo's, smoke the Generals off later.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your truck looks way better with the new wheels and tires!!! Great choices. I love the sound of the Toyos running down the road, as well.

Now, you just have to decide what to do about the chrome bumpers...

KR-Texas

Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by KR-Texas
Your truck looks way better with the new wheels and tires!!! Great choices. I love the sound of the Toyos running down the road, as well.

Now, you just have to decide what to do about the chrome bumpers...

KR-Texas
Thanks man. I know I want them painted, but finances wont permit it right now, and since I have no real reason to have it done, that will be handled when moneys better, if gas prices drop more i'm actually thinking of having Bill write me a 93 tune

Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 PM
sweet new look. looks 10x better now. this is way off subject but i found this video, its insane http://www.facebook.com/video/video....2122&ref=share

Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Darren,
You planning on running these in the winter?? If so you worried about salt at all?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2001 5.4
sweet new look. looks 10x better now. this is way off subject but i found this video, its insane http://www.facebook.com/video/video....2122&ref=share
I dont have facebook.

Originally Posted by Maxout05
Darren,
You planning on running these in the winter?? If so you worried about salt at all?
Yep, I'll have no choice, I'm not putting my OEMs back on & i'm not buying tires for them. Yes I am quite worried, alot lol, i've been plotting out what else I can do other than consistant pressure washing, and monthly waxing. Cover them in packaging tape?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VERY nice!

I really like my stock FX4 wheels and I think a leveling kit and a set of 33/12.50/18 Toyo M/T's would look great on my truck but if I ever decide to buy an aftermarket set of wheels for my truck that is exactly what I would purchase. Wanna photoshop them on my truck for me?

Once again..... VERY nice!

Last edited by 08FX4; 09-13-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by 08FX4
VERY nice!

I really like my stock FX4 wheels and I think a leveling kit and a set of 33/12.50/18 Toyo M/T's would look great on my truck but if I ever decide to buy an aftermarket set of wheels for my truck that is exactly what I would purchase. Wanna photoshop them on my truck for me?

Once again..... VERY nice!
I have that set-up now, but I painted my fx4's black, and went with nittos. I had 35's toyos before and got sick of 8mpg. It looks pretty sweet with the stockers and 33's. I really really want new wheels in the future though. Most styles I like are coming down in price every month. I can get 18x9's I like for 600-650 that awesome.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I dont have facebook.

Yep, I'll have no choice, I'm not putting my OEMs back on & i'm not buying tires for them. Yes I am quite worried, alot lol, i've been plotting out what else I can do other than consistant pressure washing, and monthly waxing. Cover them in packaging tape?
I'm debating on getting new wheels soon, but I would be in the same boat as you. I've been looking into the procomp 7005's and actually found them cheap, and have read good reviews on them for winter driving. I know you hate the rock stars, but I really like them the most and I'm thinking of going that way. I read a whole story in a diesel magazine recently about this ford f-350 that is used on the ice roads in alaska for the owner to get to his oil rig job. He drove crazy miles on the roads in the winter for three years and his truck had 20inch rockstars with 37's and they looked new. But he was saying in the article the roads are so bad that his tractions bars kept falling loose and off in the rear. I'm sure they wouldn't have the salt we do though.. not sure there. I like the rockstars because I see more of a military look to them, then I do bling. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder! I'm still scared of salt.. I might wait till spring.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM

I'm debating on getting new wheels soon, but I would be in the same boat as you. I've been looking into the procomp 7005's and actually found them cheap, and have read good reviews on them for winter driving. I know you hate the rock stars, but I really like them the most and I'm thinking of going that way. I read a whole story in a diesel magazine recently about this ford f-350 that is used on the ice roads in alaska for the owner to get to his oil rig job. He drove crazy miles on the roads in the winter for three years and his truck had 20inch rockstars with 37's and they looked new. But he was saying in the article the roads are so bad that his tractions bars kept falling loose and off in the rear. I'm sure they wouldn't have the salt we do though.. not sure there. I like the rockstars because I see more of a military look to them, then I do bling. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder! I'm still scared of salt.. I might wait till spring.
Yeah I hate the 7005s more than the Rockstars The Rockstars are alright though. You can score them for $1900 or so from RimzOneOnline, they put together packages on ebay and sell them pretty cheap.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah I hate the 7005s more than the Rockstars The Rockstars are alright though. You can score them for $1900 or so from RimzOneOnline, they put together packages on ebay and sell them pretty cheap.
Yea they have alot to choose from. In my case I only need wheels, my tires have 300 miles on them. I found rockstars from rimzone on ebay for 643.00 plus shipping.
I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with the roush still before I get wheels.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Yea they have alot to choose from. In my case I only need wheels, my tires have 300 miles on them. I found rockstars from rimzone on ebay for 643.00 plus shipping.
I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with the roush still before I get wheels.
Pretty good price. 18x9 XD Monsters are $657, almost went with 18x9 but the size just looked too small to me, I like only 1/8 sidewall and the rest all rim, the 20x9s filled it perfectly so I coughed up the extra $460.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 AM
I also bought my tire and wheel package from rimzoneonline.com because they had the best overall prices. (Wheels, tires, mounting and balancing, lugs, shipping, etc.) I found their prices on eBay were slightly higher for the exact same tire package.

My second choice was the Black XD Monsters, but since I am from Texas I had to go with the Rockstars and their "lone star" on each wheel...

KR-Texas

Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
My second choice was the Black XD Monsters, but since I am from Texas I had to go with the Rockstars and their "lone star" on each wheel...

KR-Texas
As with any wheel, they only go well on certain trucks. I'm tossed up on the Rockstars, but your truck pulls them off very well.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good darren

Quick Reply: General's retired, XDs and Toyo's now in charge