Wagner TQ pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wagner TQ pads

I have done re-search but I still want some verification. I have been back & forth on semi-metallic and ceramic. I am in the north PA area and there are tons of hills and my brakes are used quite often, which is leading me to go ceramic. But the real question will be on what pads cheapest. After buying my XDs and Toyo's 'm pretty cheap right now, but I need better braking and no dust. Should I go ceramic?

I also am having a beach of a time finding them locally, autozone and napa claim they do not deal with Wagner and will not order, so i'm in a bit of a jam.

Would advanced auto atleast order them? Or am I best off buying online? I seen a couple people suggest RockAuto.com to order them from, Should I buy from rockauto? I also want to get that $30 rebate so if rockauto would take care of it during the purchase process that would be great.

And will only need grease for the calipar bolts only?

I will need to buy a 6" clamp?

I have just turned to 79k miles, rotors look fine with the acception of a rust outline on the outside of the rotors, is it necessary to turn all of them? or and I just swap the pads and paint my calipars as planned?

Any other suggestions?

I also have never done any brake work in my history if you could not already tell, and I cant take the risk of f-n up, but i have witness alot of pad changes and know how it goes, and have access to the pad change articles here, and i actually for once have the tools to do it all lol.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
If you've read, you have seen my post. I have over 80,000 miles on my TQ semimetallis. They are great stooping and no dust. I will replace with the same thing. Don't know why ordering from online will not work, but I did buy mine locally. You do not have to have the clamp, you just need a way to compress the piston without damaging. You can place a piece of metal across it and compress with large channel locks. Be sure and open the master cylinder so the fluid can rise as you compress. The lube is for the sliders and does not come with the pads. The pads have a dampner on the back of them, so you do not need to put the Quiet Stuff on them. I ceramiics may be just as good, but I don't think there is a better pad out there.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
If you've read, you have seen my post. I have over 80,000 miles on my TQ semimetallis. They are great stooping and no dust. I will replace with the same thing. Don't know why ordering from online will not work, but I did buy mine locally. You do not have to have the clamp, you just need a way to compress the piston without damaging. You can place a piece of metal across it and compress with large channel locks. Be sure and open the master cylinder so the fluid can rise as you compress. The lube is for the sliders and does not come with the pads. The pads have a dampner on the back of them, so you do not need to put the Quiet Stuff on them. I ceramiics may be just as good, but I don't think there is a better pad out there.
Thank you for your quick reply bluejay. Not the first time you have heard this but you are the reason for my interest in these pads due to your pleased feedback on them. I rarely tow anymore, but I have some hills that ask for braking now and them, shouldn't be too much heat to require ceramic? Semi it is then.

And I believe I got it now, i'll be sure to get some lube for the sliders and i'll try snagging a clamp from a friend since I really do not need such a clamp.

Edit:

Another thing, are they really that cheap? $34 a set? I was figuring they would be in the high $40s or close to your original buying price Bluejay.

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 09-22-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to advanced auto with a rockauto price out and they matched the rock auto price. Only cost me $38

Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like my ceramics. i've always thought they would dust even less than the semi-metallics.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 AM
How hard are the ceramics, semi-metallics on the rotors though? I suspect the low/no dust comes at the price of more rotor wear???

Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 AM
love my wagner TQ a common myth about ceramics is they dust less which is not true. They dust the same as any other pad the friction material is just lighter in color as is the thermoquiets. The only real advantages to ceramics is they last longer and less prone to noise.

here is a good read http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/ic10422.htm

Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM

I have the TQ ceramics and they are great. I went with the ceramic because I tow a travel trailer and they handle heat buildup better. No visible dust. If your rotors still look good then you wouldn't need to turn them. I did not have mine turned when I changed over to the TQ's. I would suggest you scuff them a bit is all. The swap out is fairly straight forward. Having a clamp would help but you can get buy without it. I think Wangner may have a rebate on them until the end of the month? I got mine locally at Advance Auto.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Yeah the rebate is precisely why i'm doing this now , i'm going to go ahead and order.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I have the TQ ceramics on my truck and explorer and love them. I had 50K on my truck and used the existing rotors without turning them and without problems. Get a 6" clamp just to make it easier for you, they're cheap. Clean the metal surface that the pad ends slide on because I'm sure they have a ton of brake dust on them and treat them with something like WD-40. I prefer to use "fluid film" spray. Also make sure your caliper slide bolts have enough grease on them and that they move freely. I buy mine from Rockauto, it's the best price usually and delivered to your door, and you still can still get the rebate on line through that site. The job is easy to do, then enjoy having no dust on your wheels.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 AM

That was super fast, I ordered yesterday and the box JUST arrived, didn't know they were so close!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
That was super fast, I ordered yesterday and the box JUST arrived, didn't know they were so close!
See if you get them put on that quickly!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Man, my pads were super easy to swap out. I too went with the TQ's without any worry I loved them going to be putting them on every vehicle I own.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
See if you get them put on that quickly!
I wish. I have no jack or jack stands, need to borrow then from a friend which wont happen until the weekend.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Did you ever get them installed Darren? I am having trouble deciding between Semi-Metallic and Ceramic for my truck. Which did you go with? I work with a lady whose hubby works at the Advance Auto warehouse, so I may be able to get an employee discount through her. Im not sure yet if I can.

Quick Reply: Wagner TQ pads