Need to replace Calipar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need to replace Calipar?

I changed my pads and painted my calipars tonight and I found one of the master cyls on the front drivers side is cracked. This explains the excessive brake dust I always get with the LF, and the burnt brake smell i discovered last spring.

Is all I have to do is replace the calipar? I cannot compress it with the clamp. I read that if you replace one you should replace the other, but I am not that rich at the moment and I'm quite pissed off this one is cracked. I want to only have to replace it with a good one from a used truck in a salvage yard or such.

I'm putting the Motorcraft pads back on the drivers side until I figure out if this is all that needs done. I need my truck for communication. Any advice given please help asap, thanks.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the bore is still good, rock auto shows a caliper piston u can buy for under 8 bucks not sure if it comes with the rubber bits but they have the repair kit for about the same price as well. Maybe a local auto parts store has them which if needed now would be more convenient but rock auto ships out rather quickly.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks, so this is replaceable? I know only a little about brakes and need to get this fixed.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:12 PM

No one knows anything about these?.......

Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calipers

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
No one knows anything about these?.......
Darren

If you aren't set to check for roundness and possibly hone the sleeves in that caliper, let alone pull a probable stuck piston out of it; I think it would be better to get a rebuilt caliper. Second option would be to get a comparable one from a recent wreck, not as good as a rebuilt but better than a questionable one. I've never done one, but I've watched it done and I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

My 2 cents

Paul

Quick Reply: Need to replace Calipar?